Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 British chin straps

Article about: Some enterprising sole invented the adjusta pad, for helmets without the standard chin strap lug like the civilian protective helmet. Also for some reason on this US helmet, which also has d

Here is a MK2 Home Front helmet chinstrap with a construction I have not seen before.

It is fabricated from 2 pieces of thin cotton material which have been laminated together and cut into strips. It has no edge trimming whatsoever.

It reminds me of some of the tapes in a Despatch riders overcoat that I once had.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

?

Have you tried a magnet on the metal parts to see if they are magnetic, if so then it is for home front use.

It is from a Home Front Helmet but it is not magnetic.

The helmet liner is by Charles Collett Ltd. 1940 and I have not quite worked out the helmet manufacturer yet which is in Grey. It is a 3 punch hole on one side.

?

An home front used Mk2 chin strap, metal fittings (magnetic) and with no springs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

WW2 British chin straps  

?

Good evening to all.
    Is there photographic evidence of the use of the old model chin strap (MKII) on the new MKIII helmets?
    Has an example of this kind ever appeared in your collections or in your research?
    Thanks for the contributions.

?

If you look at picture 23, you'll see a Canadian soldier wearing a Mk3, with British Mk2 chin strap.

?

Thank you very much!
    I always imagined that given the ease with which it was possible to replace them, someone would have preferred to use the more comfortable (perhaps) MKII chin strap on the later MKIII models.
    I do not know if the initiative may have been personal or if it has taken on greater dimensions and therefore codified, at departmental or regimental level.
    I remember seeing RAC helmets with this type of chin strap but had never found pictures of MKIII helmets.
    My interest also stems from the fact that a collector of my acquaintance recently offered me an MKIII with MKII chin strap.
    At first, having already that model in the collection, I did not follow up on the offer but now the collector is proposing it to me again at a significantly lower price ... and of course this has rekindled my interest.
    If I buy it I will insert the photos on this discussion and you will give me your competent opinion.
    Meanwhile, I hope to find more photos or documentation that can confirm this hypothesis.
    Thanks, Max

Great thread tinlid, here's some I have (wish I could find them to test if magnetic or not!) I'm guessing home front?

?

I can see quite a bit of brass, probably all non magnetic.

?

What is the correct way to thread the MK3 chin strap? I have seen different ways. Thanks, Al

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast