Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.

Article about: Thought it might be a good idea if we had a thread where for reference, one could look up, or remind oneself of WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet badges. If you could add only WW2 ARMY bad

?

Princes Irene Brigade. (PIB)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.   WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.  

Beautifull helmet Tinlid!

You the envy of most Dutch collectors!

Cheers,
    Emile

Any help with this flash?WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges. more pics are in the commonwealth helmets thread, grenadier? Flaming bomb?

Weird it’s at the 12o’clock..

It’s under 2 layers of green

Cheers

Default Brodie WW2 segmented chequered decal?

I am keen to know what the 15 segmented black and white chequered decal represents. I have posted 2 images, one of the decal and one of the liner. The liner is an interesting one as it is not standard, I assume its an officers custom one made by Scott & Co Piccadilly London, hatters to the 'His Majesty the King'. On the underside metal is a very finely sign-written name R E Flemming. Considering these unique elements I would also be interested to know its value.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.   WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.  

..is it black or blue and white?

?

Looks to be an officers private purchase liner, the badge is very similar to the Scots Guards.
    So might have a Scottish connection?

Its black and white and its very crisp which is why I think its a decal. It does have some similarity to the Scots Guards, but I have my doubts about the Scottish connection, the chequer is such a universal motif.

hi

this is Lovat scout Flash

SMP
    ?

Quote by suffolk View Post
    hi

here:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British and Commonwealth helmet markings and Badges.  

Quote by suffolk View Post
    I have to admit that I have never actually seen it on a helmet but this makes sense as the Lovat Scouts (first formed in the 2nd Boer War - long before the famous WWII commonly known history) did wear a Balmoral Bonnet with a black and white diced band. It is the same pattern that was introduced as "Sillito Tartan" to the caps of the City of Glasgow Police in 1932 by the Chief Constable Sir Percy Sillito and has since spread around the globe (now designated by the EU as a universal symbol of police). In actual fact it isn't technically a "Tartan" and it certainly wasn't designed by Sillito. The tartan from which it is derived existed before The Scottish Register of Tartans was created but had long been a feature of Scottish Heraldry in coats of arms.

All this being so, I wouldn't be prepared to accept the helmet in post #124 as authentic without some seriously watertight provence!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast