MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British helmet insignia

Article about: Hi every one and a merry xmas I recently discovered this british helmet , it was sat on top of a german helmet in a old shed. I have cleaned the outer shell lightly but left the inside as fo

Default WW2 British helmet with insignia and german helmet

WW2 British helmet insigniaWW2 British helmet insigniaWW2 British helmet insigniaHi every one and a merry xmas

I recently discovered this british helmet , it was sat on top of a german helmet in a old shed.
    I have cleaned the outer shell lightly but left the inside as found ,it had been sat on the german helmet for so long that the liner of the british helmet had stuck to the outer shell of the german one .
    My question is does any one know which insignia is applied to the side of the shell ?
    Help appreciatedWW2 British helmet insigniaWW2 British helmet insignia

?

Hi, Sorry I can't help with the flash, but is it just on the one side? Also is the outer paint smooth or textured.
    Quite unusual to see a stacking mark on a German helmet for a change.

Hi
    The flash is on one side only , the paint is smooth on the shell but has suffered from some rust on the outer shell .
    With it being stacked on top of the german helmet it seems to have protected it and it has faired better from rust .

?

If it's smooth paint then it will have been used on the home front & not by the army. So what it represents & when it was applied is anyone's guess.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    If it's smooth paint then it will have been used on the home front & not by the army. So what it represents & when it was applied is anyone's guess.

you may have some thing there ?
    Along with the helmets there was some home guard and naval items from the Bradford area .
    If the helmet was home guard I would think the helmet would have the inferior quality holes to the shell ?.
    One possibility is the naval items , I believe were from a rating that took part in the Normandy landings HMS ICARUS but who knows .

?

The home guard used about 700,000 No.2's (holes in the brim) - 1 million No.1's (military issue).
    But I think you might have something regarding the navy though, would be worth looking into.

Royal Navy is correct.

It is a Telegraphers insignia.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British helmet insignia  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Well done Ade, problem solved.

Thank you

mystery solved .
    I said there was some naval items amongst the other items , the guy was on Hms Icarus and he was a telegrapher so it now all makes sense , where the german helmet came from is any ones guess

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.