Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British parasteel helmet

Article about: Hi all, I'm looking to buy a Mk1 ww2 para helmet and I know they are faked a lot, the one I'm after is made by Briggs Motor Bodies and dated 1943, what I would like to know is if it was fake

Default WW2 British parasteel helmet

Hi all,
    I'm looking to buy a Mk1 ww2 para helmet and I know they are faked a lot, the one I'm after is made by Briggs Motor Bodies and dated 1943, what I would like to know is if it was fake would it still have BMB in it and dated 1943.
    Also, "correct me if I'm wrong" the Mk2's have a yellow blob of paint on the inside and or white chalk around the crown of the liner, would the Mk1's also have this tell tail markings.
    Sorry I have no images to show you.
    Cheers

Kev.

?

Default Re: WW2 British parasteel helmet

Hard to comment without pictures...

?

Hi Kev,
    The 1942 & 1943 dated para helmets HSAT ( helmet, steel airbourne troops) are both Mk1's, the 1942 dated one has the fibre rim, the 1943 dated one has not but apart from that they are the same. The Mk2 produced from 1943-44 have the webbing chin straps.
    The 42 dated HSAT with the fibre rim will sometimes have the yellow blob of paint, the 43 dated one will not. Both will have the chalk line around the crown pad.
    The paint will be khaki green, there was also another HSAT made in 43 but that was made by G&S & is dark brown painted.
    Here's some pics of original HSAT's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British parasteel helmet   WW2 British parasteel helmet  

WW2 British parasteel helmet   WW2 British parasteel helmet  

WW2 British parasteel helmet  

Thanks tinlid
    The one I'm after which like I say is dated 1943 has a stainless rim on the lower part of the shell instead the fibber rim would that be correct and the leather harness straps are identical to your left hand set of images the one that is showing the two helmets on wooden stands it's identical to the left one, if that makes sense.
    If I can confirm it's a genuine one, (and I'm trying to get the seller to send me some more images) what sort of money should I be paying for it "roughly".

?

43 dated HSAT would have the stainless steel rim, it would be a good idea to get pics first & show them here before buying.
    As for price, this will depend on condition, if they are like my two then £1000 - £1200. But some dealers will ask for about £1500. Get the pics first, so we can have a look.
    Here's some pics of fakes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British parasteel helmet   WW2 British parasteel helmet  

WOW! some of those sweat bands look pretty real to me.
    Your right tinlid I'd better get some pics asap.
    Cheers

Kev.

?

This one is for sale on ebay at the moment, another fake. CCL did make HSAT but not until the 50's & 60's.