Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

?WW2? Brodie Helmets

Article about: First up is the Brodie which I'm sure is a repaint. Check out the brush strokes visible on the photograph of the top. Nice aging, though. The liner looks very bulgey on this fellow. Here's t

Post ?WW2? Brodie Helmets

I have a couple of brodie helmet kicking around the house. Two were given to me by a friend of the family. One is obviously reptainted and the other looks original and has a big W on the front of it. Both have a rolled edge and what appears to be a rubber liner with a canvas covered elastic? chinstrap.

I will post pictures as soon as I have my camera back!

Default Re: ?WW2? Brodie Helmets

helmet with the W on the front is an air read wardens helmet

I always thought the W was for Warden. I'm glad I was close, but Air Raid Warden is even cooler. What sort of duties would the wearer have performed? Was it military or civil?

?

It would have been civil, is it painted black or white. Wardens would do a number of jobs, from checking no lights showed to making sure people had somewhere to go after being bombed. They were a link really for all the other services like police, fire service to rescue.

The helmet is green with a white W on the front. That`s really cool, I`m pleased to find out what it is. I`ve had it since I was 6 or 7 years old and only just realized I could research it

?

Being green with a white W it might have been used by the Irish during WW2.

?

That depends on the green. Some British helmets were painted a green colour, known as 'Tundra Green'. Particularly for use by the fire service. I have one and it's more grey green almost bluish. Whereas the Irish warden helmets were more of an Emerald green. Irish army helmets are a different lighter green again.

?

Yeah I know what you mean about the slightly different colours of the helmets in the ARP, NFS that you see.
    Like you say the Irish wardens helmets are a bright green.
    Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images ?WW2? Brodie Helmets 

kc1
    ?

Did they ever paint helmets with the gas detector paint? I have read that this was painted onto the tops of pillarboxes at the outbreak of war and i believe that was green, although what colour it went in the presence of mustard or phosgene i don't know.

?

I doubt they did paint anti-gas paint on there helmets because you would need to be with someone else to look at your helmet to see it. If it was done then it was would have been very small scale. They used to put it on vehicles.
    Aaron

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast