Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 Dispatch Rider Helmet found at Car Boot Today

Article about: I picked this up at the local car boot today I believe its a WW2 Dispatch Riders Helmet. Dated 1944 unsure what the initials BMB stand for .

Default Re: WW2 Dispatch Rider Helmet found at Car Boot Today

I have just had a closer look at the helmet and have found the owners details 393907 Captain LF Savery -a quick google shows he was Mention in Dispatches in Malaya and won an MC in Cyprus in the 1950s. Interestingly he did not see WW2 service but was attached to 2PARA as an Intelligence Officer in the 1950s. I assume a WW2 dated helmet was still an issue item in the 50s

Very nice to have it named and to find out its history and what a bargain.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Mark Holden View Post
    I have just had a closer look at the helmet and have found the owners details 393907 Captain LF Savery -a quick google shows he was Mention in Dispatches in Malaya and won an MC in Cyprus in the 1950s. Interestingly he did not see WW2 service but was attached to 2PARA as an Intelligence Officer in the 1950s. I assume a WW2 dated helmet was still an issue item in the 50s
    Perhaps that £400/£500 estimate should be revised upwards?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

These WW2 helmets were used a lot post war, the original brown paint on the inside would have been on the outside as well. I don't know if anyone here knows the significance of the black paint?

Quote by Mark Holden View Post
    That would make sense. Looking at the helmet, I think the chinstrap harness is a post-war replacement as it has black bonderised steel fittings.

Fantastic find

Rob

Paint is dark green not black but I agree it could be a repaint to the exterior. I'll go with the experts on the chinstrap.

still reeling from all the info thanks a lot chaps.

Mark

Quote by tinlid View Post
    These WW2 helmets were used a lot post war, the original brown paint on the inside would have been on the outside as well. I don't know if anyone here knows the significance of the black paint?

?

Il be round in a minit....I want to rub My lottery ticket on Your forehead lol!!!

?

If you go back to that car boot NEVER tell the seller what you have found out, thats if he's selling any more bargains lol

Not only is it wartime dated and named, but also a rare large size 8 !
    Great find.
    Regards Gary

NCA
    ?

Agreed.Bargain of 2012!!You lucky man.And its a large one to boot...Its things like this that get me up on a sunday at 5:30

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast