Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2, MKI, British, Desert, Helmet

Article about: As this is my first post on this forum a short intro. I am a collector of WW1 British Miltaria and medals. Prior to that I had an extensive WW2 German collection now all but sold as prices,

Default WW2, MKI, British, Desert, Helmet

As this is my first post on this forum a short intro. I am a collector of WW1 British Miltaria and medals. Prior to that I had an extensive WW2 German collection now all but sold as prices, fakes and some of the personalities involved in this field of collecting put me right off so re invested in WW1 items. I occasionaly buy interesting WW2 British items hence this helmet.

It is a WW2 MKI helmet with an Australian liner dated 1943. The helmet has about 90% of its sand dipped tan paint finish remaining. Most interestingly are three evenly placed holes on the front brim which I think may indicate that this helmet was originally used as part of the eyeshield visor trials of the late 1930s early 1940s. Brian Davis' excellent British Army Uniforms and Insignia of WW2 overs this on page 227 although pictures are inconclusive. Any opions or thought views most welcome. Merry Xmas.

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2, MKI, British, Desert, Helmet   WW2, MKI, British, Desert, Helmet  

WW2, MKI, British, Desert, Helmet  

Default Re: WW2, MKI, British, Desert, Helmet

Hi, it's a South African WWII helmet and the 3 holes are at the rear and are for a neck flap, though you almost never see one insitu. Nice lid. The liner has the correct and original South African makers mark and WD arrow.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Mark,
    Welcome to the forum, as stated a SA helmet easy to donate with the 3 holes in the rear of the helmet for a neck flap that was never used. Be nice to see any other helmets you have.
    Aaron

A not realy easy to come by SA lid, as others have stated........nice one too! As for the rear neck flap, I've read that they are a rarety and I've also read that they never were even issued with this flap.......but either way, the holes were punch to accept one.

Chaps. Brilliant stuff you learn something new everyday. I think I confused the SA mark with the Australian D /I\ D mark.

thank you very much. Happy Xmas

Thats a good one,Mark
    With a not so common 1943 Jager Rand Liner too.
    Have a read of this of this thread if you like,it answers a lot of questions about the SA. MkII.

History of the South African MkII

Cheers Mick
    Merry Christmas

Hi Mark, welcome and nice to see you here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Mick,

Many thanks for the link a really useful history.

Ade,

Thanks for the welcome. Hope to post more over the coming weeks months.

Happy Xmas one and all

Mark

?

Really like this helmet Mark , a combat used camo very nice !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings