Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ww2 possible ww1 helmets unsure though need help identifying

Article about: Soldered on by the soldier, but close to 100 years ago by the look of it. Nice. P.

Default Re: ww2 possible ww1 helmets unsure though need help identifying

thanks much appreciated

Solid rivet is American M-1917.

Split rivet is British Mark 1.

There are other differences if you can read the numbers/letters stamped into the steel, and in the welded joint of the rim.

Badge is British....North Staffordshire Regiment, but seems corroded.

While British soldiers did attach metal badges to their lids, the practice was discouraged as this was thought to weaken the structure of the helmet, particularly if drilling was involved.

I never heard of a Doughboy attaching a British badge to his M-17, so I guess the lid with the badge will turn out to have split rivets. Right?

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks Pat by the sounds of things i have a definite ww1 British helmet i'm just a bit unsure about the other two as i'm not sure if they are British or American.

Can't really tell from your pics, but I'm guessing the 'W' helmets are British Mark IIs. That would be normal.

In Canada second-quality helmets were allocated to Civil Defence (first quality to the armed forces), but I'm not sure if the British took the same approach as their ARP was a little busier than their oppos in Canada.

For my money, the North Staffs split rivet Mark I is the prize, as the badge looks as if it might be "period". Keep it. It seems to be in pretty good shape.

Out of touch with the UK market, but Mark Is sell in Canada for $200-$250 or very much more with good paint (eg division insignia). Just bought a US M-17 with holes for the Wilmer eyeshield for $20, but that was a fluke.

There are members who know much more than I do about the ARP kit, so they may be able to tell you more. I seem to have seen some very interesting posts.

Cheers,

Pat

BTW Army Mad:

Don't clean the badge.....I'm sure you know that the lids are best left in original state.

P.

thanks Pat and i always keep every thing as i buy or find it.

NCA
    ?

Agreed, the ww1 brodie is a keeper for sure.Very nice.

Do the wardens helmets have any markings on the shells?(usually near the chinstrap lugs on the underside of the rim.Also the liners have markings as well on the cross piece near to the crown pad.

This thread may be interest: British helmet and liner makers.

Thanks have just worked out they were both made in London in 1939 one by BH&G. Barrow Hepburn & Gale Ltd. (London) and the other JCS&W Ltd. J. Complon Sons & Webb Ltd. (London).

As it has already been stated the one that's worth the most money is the MK.1 Brodie especially if that badge proves to be original to the helmet. MK.11 Wardens helmets are quite common and not worth a large amount I think I paid £25 for my last one, but they are both nice helmets with MK.1 liners and MK.11 chin straps, the white one is a senior wardens helmet which makes it a bit more interesting , they are both a good start for a ARP/ Civil defence helmet collection.

here's a better close up of the north Stafford ww2 possible ww1 helmets unsure though need help identifying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast