Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 South African helmet

Article about: Standard issue South African helmet.

?

Default WW2 South African helmet

Standard issue South African helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 South African helmet   WW2 South African helmet  

WW2 South African helmet   WW2 South African helmet  

WW2 South African helmet  

Nice. I used to have one but sold it many years ago, Doh!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry, I quite like these lids.

Quote by busman View Post
    Thanks Jerry, I quite like these lids.
    I have been tempted to replace the one I had, whenever I see one for sale, maybe one day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Looks a good one, liner 42 dated?

?

Yes it a 42 dated liner, I have another that doesn't have split type rivets holding the chin strap lugs which is 1940 dated. Are the split type and indication of later helmets.

?

Here is an UDF green one with 1940 dated liner, note Mk2 type British chin strap lugs with clipped corners. Round rivet. Again early Mk2 type chin strap lugs with small split rivet.
    Last, most often seen chin strap lugs, not clipped at the corners, with round rivet, but most often seen with the larger split rivet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 South African helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 South African helmet  WW2 South African helmet 
    Last edited by tinlid; 07-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.

SMP
    ?

Most of the later sand coloured SA helmets were unissued . They usually show obvious stacking marks ( black ring ) and paper stuck to the liners. It is nice to see one that probably saw war service.

?

Thanks guys for the great information. Do we know why they made such quantities that were not issued.

?

I'm resurrecting this old thread to see if I can get some information. I just received a 1943 dated SA MK II helmet which apparently has the incorrect liner attaching hardware. Could someone post photos of what I need to look for? After viewing a quantity of photos on installed liners, I have some doubts, some photos show a nut on the inside, screw on the outside and other photos show the head of a screw on the inside as well as the outside. I would also appreciate some direction to a suitable source to obtain the correct hardware.

Thanks,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast