Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8

Article about: Here is one not often encountered - one of only about 1300 manufactured towards the end of WWI. It is a Model 8, one of several prototype combat helmet styles designed to provide more protec

Default WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8

Here is one not often encountered - one of only about 1300 manufactured towards the end of WWI. It is a Model 8, one of several prototype combat helmet styles designed to provide more protection for the old bean than the soup bowl helmets issued to the doughboys during the Great War. This style included a complete face shield that certainly harkens back to the age of knights and jousting. It was never, to my knowledge, field tested during the War, and in my opinion, even if it had been it would never have been adopted by the Army. This one is complete with three pad liner and web chinstrap. The paint was applied in a very thin layer and hasn't held up too well, but the face shield still moves, and the helmet is in otherwise fairly decent shape. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8   WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8  

WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8   WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8  

WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8   WWI US Prototype Combat Helmet - Model 8  

?

Congrats on that score. I love it and when studying US helmets this model was always my favorite even though not practical for combat. I thought it would scare the crap out of anybody seeing a division of men marching towards you wearing these.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Great score. Agree with Phil, would look intimidating but not very practical.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice hard to find if not impossible US item. timothy

?

I have seen this one & other types on the forums, they are unusual and very interesting.
    You must be pleased with it as I guess they are very rare.

Now that's what you call an interesting lid!...

Looks like an M42 with a face-shield! Would provide good protection I imagine but visibility-wise it would be found wanting.

Wozzers Jim,from the pioneering days always searching for that deep pot being drawn from a single sheet of steel,experimentals like these just don't hardly if ever show up anywhere in the market place today,its hard to believe that after all those prototypes the US were still going with the M17A as late as 1940,a beautiful 3 pound rigid Helmet with a very simiular liner system to the M16 as you said only about 1300 were produced in November 1918 by the Ford Motor Company.first time i've seen one for real rather than pictures from a book,congrats for owning something pretty special from the history of the US steel-pot,don't suppose you've a spare one laying around you don't need.seriously though well done.........

Very nice jim
    Chris

?

A rare helmet. Great find.