Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?

Article about: Hi guys, I'm a bit stumped on this helmet net I picked up and was wondering if anyone can make a positive ID. The net is fine woven mesh and is two tone (one side Brown the other Green), it

Default WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?

Hi guys,

I'm a bit stumped on this helmet net I picked up and was wondering if anyone can make a positive ID. The net is fine woven mesh and is two tone (one side Brown the other Green), it did not have a drawstring and appears to have been cut from a large size, possibly vehicle camouflage net.
    Could this be WWII Canadian since two toned colors were common?

Someone said it's post-war Belgian made but I scoured the internet and haven't found a shred of evidence of that (Belgians copied the US M44 nets post-war). Someone also suggested Australian or Canadian.

Any help would be great.

Pat

WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?

?

its not the regular type two tone Canadian net, sorry. Does it have a finished edge at all? the lighter side could just be fading

Hi John,

There is no finished edge, the net looks like its been cut from a larger piece, possibly vehicle netting.

Also, someone said it's a NATO vehicle net from the 80's, but again I scoured the internet and found no evidence of that.

Pat

?

I doesn't match the three fine-net post WWII Aussie patterns I have.
    I am used to seeing very coarse nets on vehicles.
    Is it synthetic fibre?

Oz.

SMP
    ?

Looks like a cut-up vehicle/equipment net, as stated.

Ok, I ran a quick burn test on a tiny piece of the netting that I cut from the inner edge (tucked under liner).

There's definitely no nylon in there; it burned with a bit of a yellow flame and didn't melt or give off a chemical smell. The ash was black and easily crushed.

I'm leaning towards cotton, wool or linen.

Just would like to know what country this net belonged to originally and whether it's WWII period.

Pat

?

It looks to me as two types of early British Helmet net sewn together to make up one good net. It could be period WW2 or post WW2 , I wouldn't know how to be sure either way.

?

Digging this thread up from the dead, but appears to be the same net that is on my 1940 British helmet that I posted in the sticky thread of nets and netted helmets. Mine has it with the other side facing out though, and appears to be the same green on both sides, but faded down.
    WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?WWII Canadian MKII Helmet Net?