Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat

Article about: Hello everyone, i have here a 14th Army/2nd British Division (Burma) Brigadiers slouch hat.. i believe it can only be one of four men. Any assistance would be grateful

Default 14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat

Hello everyone, i have here a 14th Army/2nd British Division (Burma) Brigadiers slouch hat.. i believe it can only be one of four men. Any assistance would be grateful
    14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat14th Army/2nd British Division Brigadiers slouch hat

If the division had 4 Brigadiers in the area during the period, I would think it would be hard to narrow it down ti which individual it was, unless it has initials or some other id in it.

Looks convincing as a period badged British made slouch hat. A fine thing to find.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

i was trying to find period pics of them, as i was told some chose not to wear the slouch in favour of other headwear..its all ive got to go on..mind you they all have very interesting war records

Quote by wizardman View Post
    i was trying to find period pics of them, as i was told some chose not to wear the slouch in favour of other headwear..its all ive got to go on..mind you they all have very interesting war records
    Have you got a list of the 4 Brigadiers? Make it easier to help you perhaps.
    Regards,

Jerry

This is the list ive got from the Burma star association online..4th Brigade commanded by Brig Goshen (KIA) Brig Theobalds (KIA)..5th Brigade commanded by Brig Hawkins (wounded)...6th Brigade commanded by Brig Shapland (wounded) ..There may be more im unaware of at this stage

from the book 'Voices from the Front: 2nd Norfolk Regiment - From Le Paradis to Kohima' ..Brigadier William Goshen was killed by a sniper, "Goshen came down with Robert Scott full of red things on their hats, silly arses! I said "excuse me, sir, there are snipers there could you get down!" but he was a guardsman and he still thought it was an exercise" A guardsman wouldnt get down, he didnt and unfortunately he was killed" Capt Dickie Davies D Coy 2nd Norfolks.. so i guess this Brigadier wasnt a slouch hat lover

John Arundel "Jack" Theobold was in Burma in the early 30's and was therefore likely to be in favour opf wearing a slouch hat. He was promoted acting Brigadier after 4th brigade's commander was captured.

07.1943 Commanding Officer, 2nd Battalion Durham Light Infantry (Arakan, Burma) (DSO)
    Commander, 4th Infantry Brigade (Burma; relief of Kohima; wounded while making a personal reconnaissance from a forward trench)

He was awarded a DSO for his actions.

This officer has commanded his Battalion throughout the operations. He has displayed exemplary calmness, determination and capability. After taking part in the operations at Donbaik Lt.Col. Theobalds suddenly found himself in command of the Brigade at Indin after the capture of the Brigade Commander and faced with the most difficult task of withdrawing the Brigade to Kyaukpandu in the face of strong enemy pressure. The success of this operation was entirely due to the plan made by Lt.Col. Theobalds & Lt.Col. Nicholson R.A. and passed over the air to me at Kyaukpandu. Since then 2/D.L.I. have been with the 4th Indian Brigade where they were all the time in the positions nearest the enemy and on one occasion acted as rearguard to this Brigade. Lt.Col. Theobalds has throughout been an inspiration and example to his Battalion.
    [Recommended 18.05.1943 by Brig. B.H. Hopkins, Commander 6th Infantry Brigade Group, approved 30.07.1943 by Maj.Gen. C.E.N. Lomax, commanding 26th Indian Division, approved 09.08.1943 by Gen. G.J. Giffard, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Army]
    Regards,

Jerry

wow thanks for that Jerry..ive been searching everywhere for photos and video, but not much success..all of these guys were hardcore, no sitting back..id be happy for it to be anyone from that ' forgotten army'

CBH
    ?

Would their head sizes be recorded in their records ? That might narrow down the owner . Nice hat .

A cracking "slouchie", the only thing I will add to the discussion is that a few years back I owned a Norfolk Regt slouchie with provenance, and photographs of others wearing them. All the Norfolk one's pictured including the hat I owned also had the yellow and black regimental flash and on the press stud side of the hat the cross keys . Just a thought In the respect that maybe that would rule out this one being the Norfolk Regiment Brigadier and narrow it down to the other three!! Leon.