MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?

Article about: Hello, I recently came across this beret. I didn't know much about its origins at first, so I have done a bit of research. That led me to this forum. As far as I can tell, it is a British Be

Default 1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?

Hello,

I recently came across this beret. I didn't know much about its origins at first, so I have done a bit of research. That led me to this forum.

As far as I can tell, it is a British Beret, dark colored (navy, I think), 1955 date stamp, Kangol. According to everything I've read, I believe it is authentic, but I would like more experienced collectors to help me learn more. I've included a few pictures.

Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?   1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?  

1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?   1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?  

1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?   1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?  

1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?  

Hi and welcome to the forum. It looks fine and during the post war period the army wore the dark blue beret. They are fairly common and not very valuable/desirable though they will get more desirable as time goes on. It would have had a badge on what is known as a slider attachment and probably would have been made of anodised aluminium otherwise known as staybright. It is impossible to tell to which army unit it would have belonged,
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I had figured it wasn't an incredibly high-priced/desirable find, of course. It was without the slider attachment you spoke of, sadly. I think this was due in part to where I found it. It was in a bin at goodwill thrift store, specifically the "blue hanger" store which serves as a last-stop store before an item is destroyed or recycled, and nothing is organized. I'm still wondering how it got there!

Thank you for your input!

The badge would have looked similar to this, depending on which regiment it belonged to as they are all different. These are both AA badges for the Welch regiment and the Pembroke yeomanry and both would date to about the same period as your beret.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?   1955 British Kangol Beret; help me learn more about my find?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.