Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2/4th Inf. Bat. slouch hat.

Article about: Gents, we had a military fair here in Western Australia over the two days of the weekend and I was lucky enough to pick up this slouch hat and also an original 2/4th unissued colour patch. I

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    show us mate
    Here you go Rene, the liner is pretty rough but you can easily make out the date which is nice! I'm really happy with this slouchy, I think I had a real win with this one mate.2/4th Inf. Bat. slouch hat.2/4th Inf. Bat. slouch hat.

That's a great slouchie Dave , a real killer, well done , do you have an image of your uncle wearing his? Would look great displayed together! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    That's a great slouchie Dave , a real killer, well done , do you have an image of your uncle wearing his? Would look great displayed together! Leon.
    Thanks Leon! Unfortunately I don't have a pic of my uncle wearing his, I don't even know if he had it when he arrived home in Australia. He was badly wounded on Crete the day before the German invasion when he was hit with an explosive round fired by an ME110 at Heraklion. He was captured in the Australian Field Hospital at Heraklion the day of the invasion and was flown to Athens on one of the German JU52's a few days later. He was then operated on by a German surgeon who saved his life. From there he was sent by train to Stalag 8b at Lamsdorf. Being as he was unfit for further war service due to his injuries he was transferred through the international red cross back home to Australia and arrived back in Sydney in 1943 where he spent the rest of the war. He died in 1963 due to complications cause by the wound he suffered on Crete.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Here you go Rene, the liner is pretty rough but you can easily make out the date which is nice! I'm really happy with this slouchy, I think I had a real win with this one mate.2/4th Inf. Bat. slouch hat.2/4th Inf. Bat. slouch hat.
    Brilliant! Thanks for the trouble

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Thanks Leon! Unfortunately I don't have a pic of my uncle wearing his, I don't even know if he had it when he arrived home in Australia. He was badly wounded on Crete the day before the German invasion when he was hit with an explosive round fired by an ME110 at Heraklion. He was captured in the Australian Field Hospital at Heraklion the day of the invasion and was flown to Athens on one of the German JU52's a few days later. He was then operated on by a German surgeon who saved his life. From there he was sent by train to Stalag 8b at Lamsdorf. Being as he was unfit for further war service due his injuries he was transferred through the international red cross back home to Australia and arrived back in Sydney in 1943 where he spent the rest of the war. He died in 1963 due to complications cause by the wound he suffered on Crete.
    Sorry to hear that he died from complications caused by the wounds he received. He certainly had one hell of a story to tell though and I am glad that you and your family can retell it with pride. Leon.

Thanks Leon, there is a lot more to his story, I've spent a fair bit of time researching my families involvement in both world wars and his is certainly a fascinating story. The 2/4th Inf. Bat. were also the only Australian unit to face an SS unit, that was in Greece before our boys were pushed down to Athens before being evacuated to Crete.

Thanks for the positive comments on the slouchy boys, much appreciated.

Stunning slouchie mate and great that it has such a meaning for you with your uncles service with the unit, super sweet.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

nice buy Dave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2