Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

2 US Overseas Caps

Article about: I've never done much research into overseas caps, but I found this pair for \\$10 online and decided to jump on it. I believe they belonged to the same soldier as the laundry numbers match ins

Default 2 US Overseas Caps

I've never done much research into overseas caps, but I found this pair for $10 online and decided to jump on it. I believe they belonged to the same soldier as the laundry numbers match inside both caps. I'm not sure about this, but there are 2 holes on the green cap; I'm guessing there could have been rank insignia pinned to that cap? That cap also retains it's tag and is 1941 dated. I have no idea what the value of these are but for $10 I'm happy with them

2 US Overseas Caps2 US Overseas Caps2 US Overseas Caps2 US Overseas Caps2 US Overseas Caps

Great score for a tenner, both artillery. I think the holes are from the dreaded moth.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Great score for a tenner, both artillery. I think the holes are from the dreaded moth.
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll post again here if I can track down the soldier who these belonged too

You did fine for $10.00. Usually if there was anything pinned on a garrison cap it would be at the front where the colored piping runs down the cap. More than likely the two holes that I am seeing on the rear of the OD cap may just be holes, or at one time someone had something pinned there but it was on the rear of the cap. The red piping on the cap is the branch of service piping for Coast Artillery or Field Artillery. Normally if rank was pinned to the hat it would have been an officer's rank and it would have been on the left side, (opposite side of the cap that you have pictured) Enlisted Soldiers may also have had a DUI (Distinctive Unit Insignia) or unit crest on the cap, but again on the left side. On the side that you have showing if this Soldier was in an Airborne unit, then a parachute patch, glider patch or combination of both parachute and glider patch would have been worn.

These are in decent condition and a bonus is the makers tag in the earlier OD cap.

Smitty