MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ausi Beret WW2?

Article about: Kakhi mid war independant company (cdo) beret undated but marked MTX. I have posted this one on here before somewhere

?

Default Ausi Beret WW2?

Hello, I just got this beret from a local shop. There is a name,"G. Alexander". inside the beret, also it's size 7 .I also bought some ammo, two .45 revolver loads and it looks like an M1 Garand stripper clip w/ one spent. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    ~Dean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ausi Beret WW2?   Ausi Beret WW2?  

Ausi Beret WW2?   Ausi Beret WW2?  

Ausi Beret WW2?   Ausi Beret WW2?  

Ausi Beret WW2?  

?

Default Re: Ausi Beret WW2?

Nobody?

Hi Dean, I only really collect British made berets.

So you will need to take my comments bearing this in mind. I like the large overall large size to the beret and the twin air vents. The only slightly troubling thing is the sweatband in the ribbed cloth. On British made items this would be postwar in most cases. But I don't know about Aussie made ones. I would wait from one of the lads from down under to give you more info on this. I am not even sure when the Aussies adpoted the khaki beret?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Gents,
    Whilst I don,t know anything re manufacture etc,Khaki or black berets were issued to Australian commando's and Independent Companys during the conflict in the South West Pacific 1941-1945.Khaki berets wre also used by work details and logistic personel.
    Will post some pic's after work today.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 12-18-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: additional info

?

Thanks to both Ade, And Dave. I am anxious to see the photos you said will post after work . I really like the size and shape of it... looks great on the foam head. I cant believe when I bought it, it had a soviet red star and hammer/sickle pin on the front! Well thanks again,mates!
    I also included a pic of my British beret made in Scotland for comparison.
    ~Dean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ausi Beret WW2?  

Hi Dean,
    Having big problems with my internet connection,been bad for a while now but have now lost all services.
    I'm sending this from work but an not in a position to post any images (against company policy).
    Will post you some images as soon as i 'm up and running again.
    Sorry about this but i have not forgotten you mate.
    Cheers
    Dave

The .45 'half-moon' clips are for a revolver so that cartridges normally made
    for an automatic can be used. The .30-06 rounds look to be 'Frankford
    Arsenal 1934', but the clip is likely for the 1903 Springfield rifle - M1
    Garand clips hold 8 staggered rounds.

If '28' ( 1928 ) is the marking on the .45's, you have some
    rather early ammo there.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Gday Dean,
    Still all buggered up with my internet conection mate.
    The beret you have is not WW2 issue but post war,I had one years ago when i was a kid in the late 70's, yours is a 1960's build I feel .
    If it was WW2 issue it would not have the black nylony feeling edging and the tag would have some form of serial number,either a letter code or a letter/number code.Also the lining is completly different.
    Was going to post some images to confirm this for you but it looks like I will be down until after xmas,bugger.When I can get on line if I try to upload images my computer just freezes up.Not good
    Another member will hopefully post an image or two of a WW2 issue model.
    Cheers mate
    Dave
    Forgot to mention that the berets issued to logistics,trade based units etc was of a much poorer construction and were a three piece made from off cuts.A throw away cover.
    Australian Armoured Regiments also wore khaki berets until 1944 when they were replaced by black.

AIF
    ?

Yeah mate its 1960's as Dave has said or maybe even very late 1950's, Its a Army cadets beret.
    Im not sure when the nylon edging was first used though, The earliest beret Ive seen made by this manufacturer is a 1951 dated black armoured beret I have packed away somewhere and It still has the leather band on it.

Hope this helps.

Luke.
    Last edited by AIF; 12-22-2011 at 11:19 AM.

AIF
    ?

Here are some of my Aussie ww2 berets for comparison

Kakhi (almost brown) early war armoured beret for the 2/7th armoured, I cant see a date on this one as the stamp is too faded/worn. This one came from the vet's grandson.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ausi Beret WW2?   Ausi Beret WW2?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast