Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Australian Slouch Hat help

Article about: I know very little about Australian Slouch hats and I would like some help as to the era ( WW1, Ww2, Post Ww2, etc?). It also appears that the sweat band was cut out. Any information about t

the hat in the back left RAAF no clip no press stud and there is no indication of there ever being any attached. date do not no vents bear still. but larg like the ww2 era hat.

I had not seen post war slouch hats with red vents. Happy to learn n something new, but most post war examples have green vents.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

yes this throw me off as well.
    the post war one with the brown vents i know is ADF issue. my brother gave it to me 18 years ago and i still wear it camping and around the garden.
    the 2016 one i bought at his base from the Q store last time i was up there, and his mate knocked it in for me.
    but hasten been worn yet. as the first slouch hat i got off him, still has not worn out.
    just got to be careful of moths they love these hats.

?

Thanks for the overwhelming responses about this hat. You guys are the best!

AIF
    ?

Hi mate, as stated your hat in the first post is a nice original mid war economy type slouch hat. Sadly the liner has been lost I'd be more inclined to say it has fallen out some time over the past 70 years opposed to being wartime removed as it still has the liner band in place.
    If I was a betting man I'd say it was Victorian made in factory V553 circa 1942-43 as the cheap thread they used at the factory at that time to stitch the leather liner and sweat bands in is notrious for rotting and the sweat bands falling out. I own 3 by this maker and have seen countless others and they all have the exact same problem.

?

Thanks AIF... very helpful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2