Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

B-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAF

Article about: As requested by AZPhil, here is the first of my B-1 caps, one of the rarer items of USAAF flying gear. It is essentially a lightweight cotton version of the well known B-2 Shearling cap, wit

?

PM sent!!
    Thanks Bob!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hey Bob,
    Would this be a B-1 my uncle is wearing in this pic?
    Click to enlarge.
    B-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAF

Prior to my uncle volunteering for combat duty , He worked as a aircraft instrument repair tech for the 6th services squadron , Who became the 443rd sub depot at Grafton Underwood station #106. This is a pic of him at his work bench.
    His orders say he transferred September 5 1943 to the 384thBomb Group 545th Bomb Squadron for flight duty.

And if you don't mind me asking. What did you pay for the B-1's you have?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-15-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Added question

?

Superb caps, very hard to find. Thanks for sharing

?

I found a B-1 cap ,but the sweatband is leather.
    Is this correct??
    The one's you posted Bob are material. I just don't know if there were differences in makers/versions.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.

?

Thanks for the photo, Phil.

Interesting image... it certainly resembles a B-1, but has a hint of B-2 about it as well!
    I would say it’s a B-1, that has been ‘touched up’ photographically (see also the box with card label, and his trousers - both of which have a similarly blurred, airbrushed texture to them, in contrast to the sharpness of his A-2)!

With regard to your question about a leather sweatband in the B-1 you found, it is not something I have ever seen, but that is certainly not to say it never happened. I haven’t seen many of these things in the wild, so it cannot be ruled out.
    Do bear in mind that there is at least one reproduction on the market that I know of (Eastman Leather Goods), and probably another/others. Is there a label in the one you found? Any photos of it?

I shall try to find out about other makers.

?

Thank You Bob,
    The pic of my Uncle is in the 384th Bomb Group "Memories" Book. I also have the pic that it was taken from and both display that Off color, It is also mostly the same color as his A2 jacket he is wearing. So that is what threw me. I know about the B-2 cap with the lambs wool. But in that pic, it doesn't have the side flaps.
    I will get pic's of the B-1 with leather sweatband when I get off work.
    The tag on it is conveniently partially torn off with just the words " CAP, FLYING " remaining and if there is anything above that it is covered by that sweatband . I noticed on the tag of the first one you posted. There is NO Comma between the word CAP and FLYING like the one I am looking at. I have seen the repro while looking for what I want and they do look good, But are Newly made. It is something I will keep in mind.

Thank you for your input on this!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-20-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added comments and remarks

?

Bob,
    Here are the pic's.
    Let me know what you think about this one?

CLICK TO ENLARGE.

B-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAFB-1 Flying Cap, Summer USAAF

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Well, it certainly looks good...
    As you say, pity about the torn off label (usually a clear sign of trying to hide something), but this certainly appears to have ‘age’, rather than artificial weathering.
    Of course, genuine ‘age’ can come from years of natural wear during any era (such as a high quality repro, worn at air shows for 20 years!), though this looks too good to be a repro... I am inclined to say it’s a real one, but cannot swear to it without a ‘hands on’, naturally.

The price is very good for an original... You’ll know if it’s right when you get it!
    If a return is possible, it’s definitely worth a punt!

All the best mate,
    Bob

?

Thank Bob,

Is the sweatband something you have seen on other examples?
    I'll have to check the policies of this seller.
    I appreciate you taking a look.
    Take care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil I'm not sure if over locked stitching was around back then, but I stand to be corrected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast