Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Blue fs cap what is it?

Article about: Arrived today but I don't know what it is. The seller had it listed as WWI but I doubt that is correct. Dark blue with grey crown piping, leather sweatband and the crown has been sewn up to

Default Blue fs cap what is it?

Arrived today but I don't know what it is. The seller had it listed as WWI but I doubt that is correct. Dark blue with grey crown piping, leather sweatband and the crown has been sewn up to make it look more jaunty. GS buttons made by Buttons ltd birmingham. No sign of any stamps on the inside.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blue fs cap what is it?   Blue fs cap what is it?  

Blue fs cap what is it?   Blue fs cap what is it?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Blue fs cap what is it?

I have done some more research on this and it might be a very early WWI issue, part of the so called Kitchener blue uniform, though it is more likely to be a pre WWI issue, the 1898 field service cap, but more research is needed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blue fs cap what is it?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I don't think Kitchner, the piping on the crown is not consistent with that era, also this is a good quality cap, unlike the kitchner stuff. Is there a shape of a badge ghosted around the crown? I think it is a part of a patrol dress or home service blues for a pre 14 regular or TF unit - ask here I'm sure it would take 10 seconds to get an answer:
    Victorian Wars Forum • View topic - Uniforms: Eton Volunteer Rifle Corps

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I don't think Kitchner, the piping on the crown is not consistent with that era, also this is a good quality cap, unlike the kitchner stuff. Is there a shape of a badge ghosted around the crown? I think it is a part of a patrol dress or home service blues for a pre 14 regular or TF unit - ask here I'm sure it would take 10 seconds to get an answer:
    Already posted it there. Victorian Wars Forum • View topic - Blue field service cap 1898?

Post 1902 as it has kings crown gs buttons, which I should have noticed straight away. The crown piping confuses the issue. I did not give much credence to it being a Kitchener blue, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Still pre WWI seems most likely but hopefully an answer will be forthcoming from somewhere sooner or later.
    Regards,

Jerry

check this out - from an ebay listing, not exactly this one but something to extrapolate this from, inkFrog

a hussar OR's FS cap is likely LARGE ALBUM FULL OF RESEARCH TITLED BUCKINGHAMSHIRE YEOMANRY AND HUSSARS | eBay

Thanks for the link and for taking the time to look. I had seen that this archive belonging to a well known figure in British militaria circles was being sold off in lots. Each lot comprising of many years of work on different units. The 1898-1904 cap does seem the best candidate for this, but finding which unit it was for will be the problem as not much of this material has been published yet in any great detail to my knowledge, maybe one day it will be. Also as you mentioned, many units carried on using these caps after the cutoff date of 1904 and you sometimes see them being worn during WWI.
    Regards,

Jerry