Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British ATS beret

Article about: Hi Guys, this was a new item of headgear introduced in 1944 for the ATS. It was not designed to replace the familiar floppy top Service dress cap, but was intended to be worn with Battledres

Default British ATS beret

Hi Guys, this was a new item of headgear introduced in 1944 for the ATS. It was not designed to replace the familiar floppy top Service dress cap, but was intended to be worn with Battledress only.

The cap badge, which by this stage of the war was plastic was worn on a tear dropped shaped backing of the ATS Corps colours. (Beware buying these tear drops alone today, they are well faked.)

Construction follows that of the different coloured men's beret of various arms of service. Note the details to the air vents, leather backing, loose thread sewn around the liner, WD inspection marks etc. The makers detail which were printed in white ink to the crown of the lining have worn off with use. This is quite common. However, I can almost gurantee this beret was made by Kangol due the tiny remains of a paper size label sewn into the lining.

Even though there are no date stamps visable due to wear, the WD inspection stamp can enable a collector to date an item. The "Z" above the WD broad arrow equates to 1945.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British ATS beret   British ATS beret  

British ATS beret   British ATS beret  

British ATS beret  

Default Re: British ATS beret

ATS Officers wore the same beret, but in Private purchase format with an optional bullion wire cap badge. This particular beret was worn by the Countess of Brecknock who served as a Major in the ATS. (We have all her caps and uniforms )

Note the badge, interior with celluloid sweatshield and protective backing tab in case a metal cap badge was worn.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British ATS beret   British ATS beret  

British ATS beret  

?

very nice caps Ade , rgds Dave

Thanks Dave. Not mine but from my wife Lez's collection (as she has just reminded me reading this over my shoulder! )

Cheers, Ade.

I've had one of those ATS teardrop backings for years, I did'nt know what it was & I never knew British units wore a teardrop - I always associate terdrops (tho' not the ATS one) with Canadian forces post war.
    Wonder if my ATS teardrop is genuine?

Hi Leigh, take a pic of it and Lez and I will take a look. The fakes came out about 5 or 6 years ago and they do look good.

Cheers, Ade.

I think I got mine before then, I'll dig it out.......

Found it, got in back in February 1996, from a curio shop in Peterborough, I can post a photo of the back.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British ATS beret  
    Last edited by leigh kitchen; 02-16-2010 at 09:32 PM.

The reverse:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British ATS beret  

Hi Leigh, that one looks OK.

Cheers, Ade.