Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British FS side caps badges

Article about: Hello, regarding British FS side caps, did they always receive a regimental badge on the left side after having been issued ? What was the regulation about this practice ? Thank you ! Kind r

Default British FS side caps badges

Hello, regarding British FS side caps, did they always receive a regimental badge on the left side after having been issued ? What was the regulation about this practice ?
    Thank you ! Kind regards from Switzerland, Steph.

Default Re: British FS side caps badges

Not all the FS caps had badges although all the khaki ww2 versions I own either have badges, holes for a badge, or would have had one attached with a slider to the left hand of the peak. There are a few coloured versions for certain regiments where a bullion boss of regimental patern was situated on the front centre above the buttons with no badge on the cap itself. The torin cap was also worn without a badge by certain regiments. One thing I have noticed is the use of collar badges on some caps where others have full size SD cap badges. Maybe they just used what was available.

The British FS cap, worn from 1937 until replaced by the GS cap in 1943 (or later, in some cases) was sometimes worn without a badge. I have specific knowledge of the situation in the Royal Artillery 2nd AA Div. in the early years of the war, although I no longer own the evidence.

I do, however, have an RA officer's colored FS cap where the badge is in the form of a sewn-on bullion grenade. Very smart.

Cheers,

Pat

Quote by helldunkle View Post
    Not all the FS caps had badges although all the khaki ww2 versions I own either have badges, holes for a badge, or would have had one attached with a slider to the left hand of the peak. There are a few coloured versions for certain regiments where a bullion boss of regimental patern was situated on the front centre above the buttons with no badge on the cap itself. The torin cap was also worn without a badge by certain regiments. One thing I have noticed is the use of collar badges on some caps where others have full size SD cap badges. Maybe they just used what was available.

I can think of a few wartime regiments that wore the coloured FS cap without a badge, but used the bullion boss on the front of the cap instead for officers:

Kings royal rifle corps
    royal Ulster rifles
    10th county of London regiment

there are probably others.

The khaki fS cap was phased out in 1943 but the coloured version was still available in many regiments as a private purchse item.