Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British pith helmet

Article about: Picked this up today along with a slouch hat posted in another thread. Not sure what the flash is for, but I'll try and research later when I have time, though RAOC is the closest match I ca

Default British pith helmet

Picked this up today along with a slouch hat posted in another thread. Not sure what the flash is for, but I'll try and research later when I have time, though RAOC is the closest match I can find so far. Better pics will be posted when it arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images British pith helmet  British pith helmet  British pith helmet  British pith helmet  British pith helmet  British pith helmet  British pith helmet 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: British pith helmet

Nice example Jerry

The patch reminds me of the patch used by 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment in WW1, but it may not be anything. Worth checking out the possibiity of the Middlesex Regt though.

Rob

?

Nice one Jerry

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Nice example Jerry

The patch reminds me of the patch used by 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment in WW1, but it may not be anything. Worth checking out the possibiity of the Middlesex Regt though.

Rob
    I'll look into that possibility Rob. Not sure if the backing is dark blue or black until it arrives. I think this pattern of sun helmet was introduced in the thirties, whilst I think the silver lining in the dome was only used for a short period in C1941-42 -and interestingly only used for a short period in WWI as well- and the seller stated that it was from India, though this pattern is often known as the India pattern.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    I'll look into that possibility Rob. Not sure if the backing is dark blue or black until it arrives. I think this pattern of sun helmet was introduced in the thirties, whilst I think the silver lining in the dome was only used for a short period in C1941-42 -and interestingly only used for a short period in WWI as well- and the seller stated that it was from India, though this pattern is often known as the India pattern.
    Technically, it's a Khaki Solar Pith Hat, and was worn in India from 1938, as you say. It was worn in Burma also, and is often seen in WW2 photos taken there. The India Pattern was slightly different, not having a dome at the top for example, amongst other differences

Rob

Rob

Technically, it's a Khaki Solar Pith Hat, and was worn in India from 1938, as you say. It was worn in Burma also, and is often seen in WW2 photos taken there. The India Pattern was slightly different, not having a dome at the top for example, amongst other differences

Rob

Rob
    When I posted it I expected you to mention the usage of incorrect terminology

I looked into the Middlesex regiment's service in WWII and one battalion served in the far east and was there for the fall of Hong kong, whilst:

The 1/7th was sent to France as part of the BEF in 1939 and fought a retreat to be evacuated at Dunkirk.

In 1941 the Battalion was posted to the 51st Highland Division, being the only English Infantry Regiment in that Division.
    Coming from London the Battalion were at first treated with a some suspicion and a little curiosity by the Highlanders.
    Once they had seen action with the Division they were accepted and earned the nickname 'The Middies- the wee boys with the guts'

The Division trained throughout 1941-1942 in the Ballater and Crathie areas on Royal Deeside.

In early 1942 the Battalion sailed with the Black Watch aboard HMT Stratheden, bound for North Africa.
    Their first major engagements as support for the 51st was at El-Alamein and Wadi Akarit.They would support the Highlanders at Medenine, Mareth, Enfidaville and Tunis before moving on to the landings at Sicily and Adrano.
    Regards,

Jerry

Yes I know, I'm annoying

The Middlesex thing could be a red herring. It was just an observation that the patch reminded me of the 21st Bn's WW1 patch

Rob

Yes I know, I'm annoying

The Middlesex thing could be a red herring. It was just an observation that the patch reminded me of the 21st Bn's WW1 patch

Rob
    Not at all Rob and in fact I wondered what your source for the info on correct terminology on this type of item is? I looked it up and other than it being a helmet and not a hat, you were correct. As an aside, the AB 64 I posted a while back has him being issued with a Pith Helmet.

As to the Middlesex regiment, any lead is worth following and it was interesting to read their history with the 51st div in Africa.
    Regards,

Jerry

Just a meek question Jerry, how come the pictures I see in this post won't open up in a new window in closer detail?
    This one has a foil liner, similar to my Brit slouchy and I haven't seen this before
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-10-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: changed text

Quote by Bond View Post
    Not at all Rob and in fact I wondered what your source for the info on correct terminology on this type of item is? I looked it up and other than it being a helmet and not a hat, you were correct. As an aside, the AB 64 I posted a while back has him being issued with a Pith Helmet.

As to the Middlesex regiment, any lead is worth following and it was interesting to read their history with the 51st div in Africa.
    Nice of you to say

The source i used to double check the terminology was Brian Davis' British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two. Davis pretty much wrote this book by quoting from official documents and army orders, so it's usually a good bet. Apart from that, it's mostly my own notes and references that I have hashed together over the years. It's not a very well documented subject.

One thing you have to accept is that the military in WW2 were very bad in NOT using the proper nomenclature for their stuff, so the AB64 reference doesn't surprise me The proper name for the other style of pith helmet is actually the Universal Foreign Service Khaki Helmet, but they never call it that. I think "pith helmet" is the generic name for all of them.

Rob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast