Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British pith helmet

Article about: Picked this up today along with a slouch hat posted in another thread. Not sure what the flash is for, but I'll try and research later when I have time, though RAOC is the closest match I ca

Default Re: British pith helmet

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Just a meek question Jerry, how come the pictures I see in this post won't open up in a new window in closer detail?
    This one has a foil liner, similar to my Brit slouchy and I haven't seen this before
    Hi Rene,

That is because they are the sellers pics and they are very small in size. I will post bigger ones when it arrives.

About the foil lining, it is the first one of this type that I have seen with a foil lining, but two of my other pith helmets are foil lined and according to research I have undertaken, it was only done in the 1941-1942 period in WWII and also only for a year or two in WWI as well.

If you look in the thread on my tropical helmet collection linked in my signature there are two examples of foil lined British pith helmets, one on the first page and one on the last page.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Nice of you to say

The source i used to double check the terminology was Brian Davis' British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two. Davis pretty much wrote this book by quoting from official documents and army orders, so it's usually a good bet. Apart from that, it's mostly my own notes and references that I have hashed together over the years. It's not a very well documented subject.

One thing you have to accept is that the military in WW2 were very bad in NOT using the proper nomenclature for their stuff, so the AB64 reference doesn't surprise me The proper name for the other style of pith helmet is actually the Universal Foreign Service Khaki Helmet, but they never call it that. I think "pith helmet" is the generic name for all of them.

Rob
    Thanks Rob and I don't have the BL Davies book, though I have a few of his books on German items. I did look into buying it a while back but did not.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I've always wondered about the foil lining, it can't have been much of an insulator, what was the thinking behind it?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    I've always wondered about the foil lining, it can't have been much of an insulator, what was the thinking behind it?

Best Regards,

Andy
    I assume they thought it would reflect the heat away, but more likely to reflect it inwards IMO and that is probably why it was discontinued.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Rob, I did some more research and went back to a linked website that I forgot I had -I have way too many bookmarked links to keep track of them- and I found this which suggests it might be earlier than I first thought, though I still think it is more likely to be thirties or forties in date.

Hat, Pith, Khaki, Solar | Military Sun Helmets
    Last edited by Jerry B; 09-10-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

I would agree. It has all the hallmarks of the 1938 military regulation hat, rather than the semi-official 'cawnpore'.

Rob

It arrived today and some pics, it has one end of the chinstrap that has come loose and has some markings under the sweatband, a circular mark that I have yet to decipher and another mark, N No. 41.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British pith helmet   British pith helmet  

British pith helmet   British pith helmet  

British pith helmet   British pith helmet  

British pith helmet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Following research on the Slouch hat that came from the same seller and which is likely to have belonged to the same person, which had one of the names written on it traceable to a member of the RAOC, it is possible that the flash is for the RAOC, though this has yet to be confirmed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Beautiful

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Beautiful

Rob
    Thanks Rob.
    Regards,