Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British REME Officers Service Dress cap

Article about: Hi Guys, I don't normally collect anything of postwar date, but this cap was a kind gift from a friend and forum member who rescued it from being thrown away by one of his customers. The lad

Default British REME Officers Service Dress cap

Hi Guys, I don't normally collect anything of postwar date, but this cap was a kind gift from a friend and forum member who rescued it from being thrown away by one of his customers. The lady asked Colin to take them to the rubbish tip! See my other thread on the Malay pattern cap which was once the property of the same Officer.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth...ers-cap-12174/

The cap bears the cap badge worn in the 1950's and is bi-metal. (White metal and gilded brass)

The inside is maker marked and the lining has a waterproof cover. Chinstrap is brown leather.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British REME Officers Service Dress cap  

Default Re: British REME Officers Service Dress cap

Sacrilege! throwing away "god's corps" I used to wear one of the brass and white metal cap badges, much better than the crappy new ones.

nice cap Ade,

Hi John, I thought you might like it knowing it was your unit

I will take a few more pics of it, as I need to get some on file.

Cheers, Ade.

Here are the extra pics as promised.

The cap has been well used.

The buttons are "Straybrite" (anodised alluminium). From the 1950's the Army had all their badges & buttons made from this material. They still do. It looks, like John mentioned, cheap and nasty. This officer chose to use a metal cap badge, no doubt as they look so much better. I should add that the REME cap badge design changed after WW2 to the one seen here. So even if you see this design with the "Kings Crown" it will be postwar.

The waterproof lining is made from some kind of plastised material. This goes sticky with heat exposure over time and it will get stuck together. Once this has happened it is almost impossible to part. I have see one collector try to do this and the whole thing just ripped apart. He ended up having to remove the whole thing. I suspect this type of lining was an optional extra to the purchaser.

I cannot really make out the full London makers details due to the lining. But it reads "Thomas &......" The sweatband is embossed "Real Roan Leather".

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British REME Officers Service Dress cap   British REME Officers Service Dress cap  

British REME Officers Service Dress cap   British REME Officers Service Dress cap  

OKW
    ?

Worked like lightening, fed like horses and if you drop a boll**k they chain you to it.

Quote by OKW View Post
    Worked like lightening, fed like horses and if you drop a boll**k they chain you to it.
    Rag Every Maiden Everywhere, or Royal Engineers Minus Education. Reems is, and always will be in my eyes the best......... God's Corps.. Tis a good looking hat, especially with that badge Thanks for sharing Ade

and don't forget the colours......... Blue for the waters we never crossed, Red for the blood we never spilled , and yellow coz we never will!

Funny though that didn't seem to count in Iraq
    Attached Images Attached Images British REME Officers Service Dress cap  British REME Officers Service Dress cap 

?

Rough Engineering Made Easy!

Donnie..

Just for reference here is the wartime Other Rank's pattern cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British REME Officers Service Dress cap   British REME Officers Service Dress cap