Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British SAS beret?

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased this beret at a flea market and have little to no experience in any British militaria, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is an actual SAS beret or a

Default Re: British SAS beret?

Hi Rhys, welcome to the forum!

What vehicle do you have?

The SAS was not strictly speaking in North Africa in the 1950's. They were however in Oman in the Arabian Peninsula in 1959.

I cannot help on the uniform question as I don't collect post war items sorry. But in general appearance, the look had not changed much since WW2.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Adrian.

My vehicle is a good old "trusty" Landrover. I have just gone over my research and have remembered that the car would have been put into service in 1954 as a GS vehicle and would have then received an overhaul and would have seen service in Aden with the SAS in 1964-67. I did a replica of the adaptation for the SAS. Thanks for the help,

Rhys.

Hi Rhys, I am sure the forum members would love to see it! Please post some photos of it some time.

If you are looking to do an Aden display, then 1958 pattern webbing would have been worn and an SLR rifle used I think.

A good couple of links about the Aden Campaign:

ADEN EMERGENCY PSYOP 1963-1967

Aden Index

Cheers, Ade.

THANKS!

I'l be sure to do that

Rhys

ian
    ?

when i went down to prontrilas in the early 80s i noticed that the guys from the regement rarely wore there berrets , mostly in civys or wearing hats wooly silly
    but when i had chance to look at some of there berrets they were mostly made by the small crown berret company
    private purchase ,, it seems the berret given to them when they were badged got put away and cept for prosterety
    they seemed to like the ones from the small crown co becouse they shunk and shaped better
    but as i say they rerely were seen wearing there berrets any way
    not that i had much to do with them any way i only went there with a t55 tank from chertsey so they could studdy it and work out how to destroy it
    the lads only realy spoke to me when they had to

you wont see the beret in use much at all it just doesnt get done its mainly for unit purposes and ceremonial crap most wore the old woolies or crap hats or shamaghs or anything useful but lettin ppl know who u are in that line of ops isnt a good idea at the time

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Rhys, I am sure the forum members would love to see it! Please post some photos of it some time.

If you are looking to do an Aden display, then 1958 pattern webbing would have been worn and an SLR rifle used I think.

A good couple of links about the Aden Campaign:

ADEN EMERGENCY PSYOP 1963-1967

Aden Index

Cheers, Ade.
    from what i recall the lads mainly used whatever they were most comfortable with it was kinda like a privelidge that you could choose the field gear of your choice to suit your needs but officially it would have been 58patt and the trusty slr

Hi Nailo,
    Your beret and badge are fine mate. The cap badge is a modern Officer's example. I don't know the age of the beret. Is any of the printing on the label still readable ? I have seen these labels before. Possibly Aus or NZ.
    If you don't wish to keep it, I'd be happy to buy it from you.
    Cheers,
    Del.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2