Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anybody date this Royal Navy Visor Cap?

Article about: I picked up this cap and was wondering if anybody knows when it might date from (the white cover was added from another cap). Annoyed from this ads?  

?

Default Can anybody date this Royal Navy Visor Cap?

I picked up this cap and was wondering if anybody knows when it might date from (the white cover was added from another cap).

All I can say for sure is that it pre-dates Queen Elizabeth's reign.

Interwars through to post WWII is the best I could say and as already mentioned pre 53. Who is the maker? What colour is the central gem on the band of the crown?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    All I can say for sure is that it pre-dates Queen Elizabeth's reign.
    I agree and the only other comment i can make is it's a very nice item!..

Hi Anon is about spot on! In my experience, the crown looks too large for a pre WWI cap and the stiched lining looks too old for post 1945. My guess would be 20/30's. In any event, a very nice cap at face value. I would go on to say that the badge is typical of the period but again too large for the WWI style. If you (very carefully) turn the band over and have a close look at its inside (and out) through a glass you may find additional marking or better still a name. It is wearing a high quality badge and if you check the reverse side of the badge you may find a retailer's label which you can check on line. This syle of cap was worn by all ranks from PO to Lt Cdr with the appropriate badge. Yours I would say belonged to a junior officer. Hope this helps. It would also look good in my collection!!!!!!!
    Cheers Michael Ryan

30s to 1952 is my guess.

?

You guys are great, this forum and its knowledgeable members never cease to impress me!

Jerry - The maker appears to be "James Forsyth (St Albans) Ltd ~ Best English Make" and the five jewels in the crown appear to be red-gree-green-green-red, though they are a bit faded.

Michael Ryan - I really appreciate your insight into the construction and rank! I did slide the band off very carefully when I first got the hat, but could not find any trace of a marking. I bought it to complete an RN officer's tropical uniform (with 2nd Lt. shoulder boards) and it took me forever to find a suitable white cover for it.

The middle Gem is probably blue. The maker was making RN caps during the 30's and 40's though when they started or stopped is not known to me.

I would go with the same period, 30's and possibly continued in use to the 40's. The wreath is not the same as that for WWI being the post WWI type which was used in WWII, though the crown looks the earlier type so interwars seems most likely, but hard to be precise.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Karkee, Thank you for your message to us. A couple of points if I may. When I mentioned the band, I was referring to the leather sweat band and not the cap band. Sorry if I have confussed the issue. As a matter of information, there is no such rank in the Royal Navy as 2nd Lt. A single gold band with the executive curle is a Sub Lt. Spare white tops? If I had known, I could have helped you as having lived beside a naval base, I have literaly hundreds of them. If you require any more, let me know. Unfortunately, all my "Stuff" is in storeage as we are in the process of moving but once moved, I would be more than happy to help.
    Cheers Michael

PS Anon, Totally agree with your logic and conclusion!!!! Michael

Hi Michael, I am after a cotton white top if you have any, for a large size 7 & 1/2 cap?
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast