MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian cold weather cap

Article about: Great photos guys! Cheers, Ade.

Default Canadian cold weather cap

Just wanted to show you all this. Any ideas what the purpose of the flap in the front was? its sewn to the cap at the top, I suspect if the small patch of stitching was broken the flap will just flop around in the wearers face.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian cold weather cap   Canadian cold weather cap  

Default Re: Canadian cold weather cap

Nice "Yukon" style cap.

As far as I know it was there to provide extra insulation and to take the cap badge. Much like Russian "Ushanka" caps.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for that Ade, I didn't know it was called a 'Yukon' style cap. I can see how the flap would help stop some wind on the forehead, but the patch of stitching is very weak holding the flap up. Bad design I guess.

Helldunkle i got the army version and the airforce version of the cap and the stitching is weak on both of them so i think they were made like that or maybe Ade could confirm that ?
    Frenchy

All the ones I have handled have been like that.

I really like the Air Force version as my Great Uncle wore one.

Cheers, Ade.

They look great with insignia frenchy. I need an air force version now as well!

Helldunkle i like the air force one better for some reason the material is thicker and looks more sturdy than the army one i was lucky to find that airforce cap in a us dealer online for a good price with the insigna
    Frenchy

I wore one of these when I was a pup...I remember the front flap was not sewn but it would stay there while I was wearing it. Wish I could find that cap again...but it disappeared years ago.

Here's a photo of my uncle wearing one with a white officer candidate flash attached. My father was also WWII RCAF and said these were only worn in Canada,not overseas,& they called them pisspots as they weren't very popular with the men.Canadian cold weather cap

Nice pic! I never saw the flash worn on one of these caps yet.

Here's a pic of a whole bunch of them. Notice the CO's in the center wearing the wolf fur caps...those are nice to wear.

The photo was taken at #20 BTC(RCASC) Kitchener, Ontario 1941. My Grandfather is sitting in the first row...third from left.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast