Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???

Article about: Well here is another oddball from my collection. I bought this 2 years ago at a garage sale..now I never buy things that are this common in this condition, however it came with a GREAT Story

?

Default Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???

Well here is another oddball from my collection.
    I bought this 2 years ago at a garage sale..now I never buy things that are this common in this condition, however it came with a GREAT Story, true or false, who knows. but as the family selling it knew nothing of the Military, I thought it might be true

The Grandfather of those selling it was in the Canadian Army in WW2, he was Captured in 1944 and was a POW, after the war he Joined the BC Regt and wore this hat at all Parades ect, The Familiy was from Reginia, so he may have been with the Regt there that landed on D-Day..who knows, the sweatband has been replaced, and I would ask myself, why would someone do that if this cap did not have a special place of Honour for him?
    Yes I know stories with Military items are usually crap or made up, but these people knew nothing about the Military or WW2, just what they remember Grandad telling them.
    So for once I think this one may be true!!!
    Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???Canadian Soldiers Wedge Cap worn as POW???

?

As far as I know, the BCRs remained in the Canadian Armoured Corps, which became the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps in mid-late 1945 until the present day. As such, even after the war, they would have had black berets and not FS caps, which were being withdrawn even in normal line-infantry units by 1943, in favour of the khaki beret.

When they left Vancouver in 1940 after mobilisation, they WERE wearing FS caps like the one pictured and as a rifle regiment DID have black buttons, so the cap may well be genuine, but the story....I doubt, somehow.

?

Well who Knows, I have never found one this well worn before.

Dean O