Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Coloured FS caps period guide

Article about: Though this is a book, I thought it would go well here, published in 1941 and is the book that BL Davis used to base his table of coloured caps on. It needs to post more than 10 pics so it w

Hi Jerry, Thank you for your message and the photos. No amount of theorising can contradict contemporary photos so I am happy to be corrected!!! The good thing about forums like this is that no matter how entrenched or positive you are a about things, there is always someone within the community who can (and should) either confirm or correct both opinion and the writen word. Not everything you read is right!!
    Thank you once again for the photos and info.
    Cheers Michael R

A period illustration showing the FS cap, sadly I don't have the full image but you can see it is an early example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coloured FS caps period guide  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi All, some additional FSC's to view. Cheers MR

Coloured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guide

The caps are:

1. Royal Army Service Corps RASC Officer. KC.
    2. Royal Artillery Officer.
    3. Royal Engineers Officer. Grenade to be re attached.
    4. 20th Hussars?? The buttons are plain with the Roman numerals "XX". Alternative suggestions invited.
    5. Seaforth Highlanders OR Glengarry.

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    The caps are:

1. Royal Army Service Corps RASC Officer. KC.
    2. Royal Artillery Officer.
    3. Royal Engineers Officer. Grenade to be re attached.
    4. 20th Hussars?? The buttons are plain with the Roman numerals "XX". Alternative suggestions invited.
    5. Seaforth Highlanders OR Glengarry.
    Interestingly Michel, there was a Dress cap shown on another forum recently, for the Lancashire Fusiliers and that had XX buttons on it from when they had been in one of their earlier incarnations the 20th foot known as the double 10's from 1753 to 1782 when they became the East Devonshire Regiment until 1881 when they became the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Though 20th Hussars could be correct in this case.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, Thank you for your message and info. I bought the cap in Plymouth about 20+ years ago and the dealer said it was cavalry? I have tried to ID the cap as cavalry and 20th Hussars but to no avail. I then went to the 20th's cap badge and it incorporates the Roman numerals XX so I therefore drew the assumption or likelyhood of the XX being incorporated into the buttons. Hence showing it as 20th Hussars. However, without a badge nor any holes where a badge may have been attached, I have been drawn to the possibility that it may well be the Lancashire Fusileers and that either it has never been badged or the badge may have been sewn on and had possibly been cut off ergo leaving no holes. Problem, all by chips are packed awaiting a possible house move so I am unable to look closely for any shading differences where a badge may have been. I have a strong feeling that you are correct and that it may well be a Lancs cap? I am begining to think that FSC's are a bl__dy nightmare!
    Cheers again Michael R

Hi Jerry, Thank you for your message and info. I bought the cap in Plymouth about 20+ years ago and the dealer said it was cavalry? I have tried to ID the cap as cavalry and 20th Hussars but to no avail. I then went to the 20th's cap badge and it incorporates the Roman numerals XX so I therefore drew the assumption or likelyhood of the XX being incorporated into the buttons. Hence showing it as 20th Hussars. However, without a badge nor any holes where a badge may have been attached, I have been drawn to the possibility that it may well be the Lancashire Fusileers and that either it has never been badged or the badge may have been sewn on and had possibly been cut off ergo leaving no holes. Problem, all by chips are packed awaiting a possible house move so I am unable to look closely for any shading differences where a badge may have been. I have a strong feeling that you are correct and that it may well be a Lancs cap? I am begining to think that FSC's are a bl__dy nightmare!
    Cheers again Michael R
    Indeed I agree with your last comment michel.

Here are some pics of the cap in question. The person only bought this one, but the seller also had the the SD cap which also had the XX buttons on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coloured FS caps period guide   Coloured FS caps period guide  

Coloured FS caps period guide  
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi again, Yup!! I guess that you have hit the nail on the head!! The button looks identical if my memory seves me. I will take it as ID'ed. Thank you once again for both the pic and info.
    Cheers Michael R.

Hi again, Yup!! I guess that you have hit the nail on the head!! The button looks identical if my memory seves me. I will take it as ID'ed. Thank you once again for both the pic and info.
    Cheers Michael R.
    Your welcome Michael and after all that is what the forum is supposed to be about, members helping their fellow members when they can.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi All, Wishing all a happy and prosperous New Year ror 2014. And of course, hours of happy hunting!! Some FSC's to view and comment on.
    Regards Michael R

Coloured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guideColoured FS caps period guide

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast