Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A.E.F Chaplains visor

Article about: The visor arrived this week and I must say I am very happy. I was told that a WW1 Chaplains visor could not be confirmed to have ever existed due the lack of photographic evidence. I have st

Default A.E.F Chaplains visor

The visor arrived this week and I must say I am very happy. I was told that a WW1 Chaplains visor could not be confirmed to have ever existed due the lack of photographic evidence. I have studied the visor and the wear evidence is overwhelming convincing to me as being real. The wear on the leather where the pin is touching is convincing, the insignia is high on the visor and I thought that it may have been moved up but I can not see any holes where the was moved and the wear on the visor where the insignia touches on lower areas is spot on. I maybe looking at the visor with wishful eyes and I would really appreciate an honest assessment.
    The visor is not in the greatest condition but to me that’s fine.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A.E.F Chaplains visor   A.E.F Chaplains visor  

A.E.F Chaplains visor   A.E.F Chaplains visor  

A.E.F Chaplains visor  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A.E.F Chaplains visor   A.E.F Chaplains visor  

Well...we must assume there were Chaplains during the period. How would they have distinguished themselves as such ? Only collar insignia ? Being there is no photographic evidence does not discount it from being a period piece. We are dealing with an "Unknown". As long as this was not an extremely expensive hat, why not keep it & enjoy it & maybe one day, some evidence will come your way.
    D.

Thanks David, there were as we discussed before Chaplain OS caps but as for the visor it’s an unknown. It’s a well worn visor for sure and may be post war due to visor changes not occurring until later but still a non reg. Configuration. I still think it stands a go chance of war time use.

Marty

MAP
    ?

As I said in the last thread. Look behind the pin. And from the photos you have shown, this has been there for a very long time. So while it may be non-regulation and there may be no photos (yet), it certainly doesn't look like it was put on recently or to deceive. And come on....who is going to tell a Chaplain to take the cross off!!!

You did well! Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Congrats Brother Marty
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks guys

?

I like it. It has the look.
    Its hard enough looking at pic's of WW1 uniforms in wear for fine details but the chance of getting a pic of a chaplins visor will be something that will keep ya busy.
    Now I know that will be something I'll be looking for in the WW1 photos I have and I do have Volume 1 &2 of L'Album de la Guerre 1914-1919 . If I see something I'll let ya know

Congrats Marty

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil for the help. Happy Birthday USMC Semper Fi

Marty

I paid a little more than I wanted to but at the moment it’s the only own example. At least I can be the caretaker for awhile.

Marty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast