Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers - Glengary cap

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Just dug this out whilst sorting a couple of boxes of toys and I thought to show it here as something not seen every day! I was given this (yep free!) after doing a fav

Default Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers - Glengary cap

Good afternoon gents,

Just dug this out whilst sorting a couple of boxes of toys and I thought to show it here as something not seen every day!

I was given this (yep free!) after doing a favour for a friend back in 1977.

The Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers had several title changes and became part of The Royals Scots therefore, The Royal Regiment of Scotland today.

The immediately obvious difference here is that the tourie (pompom on the top) is black rather than the more commonly seen red. This denotes "rifle" status in the same way that regiments were black buttons, badges etc.

All opinion is welcome as usual.

Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers - Glengary capEdinburgh Rifle Volunteers - Glengary capEdinburgh Rifle Volunteers - Glengary capEdinburgh Rifle Volunteers - Glengary cap

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-09-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Beautiful Glengarry, and likely very rare. I've never even see one of these for before, never mind gifted one! Interestingly enough the tourie on an attributed WWII Black Watch Glengarry I own is actually black not red, something a bit odd. Anyway very nice piece you've got there, and the fact that is was a gift makes it even more special! Thank you very much for sharing.

Best regards,

-Jamie

A lovely example and no doubt early IMO. I have a Welsh Regiment example from the late Victorian period, but it was not free.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

After doing a quick search, I think the badge is Edwardian if I'm not mistaken, making it quite early indeed.