Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Field cap well used

Article about: Was at an antique show today and picked this cap up . I like it a lot. On the way home the wife spotted this Snow Owl . You just don't see these owls in upstate NY. It was a very good day. G

That's a pretty good sized Owl. I had one here a couple of years ago sitting in a tree by my front door. Sat there all day sleeping. If you have small pets, always a good idea to keep an eye on them when these guys are around! Nice boonie hat, btw!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks, I'm learning. I thought it was an Aussie thing but as with most military stuff ( except the Owen gun ) we played follow the leader :-)

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

No small pets here. This is the first Snow Owl I've ever seen . If he can get my dog of the ground he is one strong owl. I also picked up some photos and a patch.

These are actually called "Daisy Mae" caps

?

Rene I thought the blue version was called the Daisy Mae didn't know they called them all that

Snow Owls are just about the same size as their cousins the Great Horned Owls and the Great Greys-which we also see around here at times. They can easily carry off a cat, a small Terrier or Poodle sized dog. When they get in This size class, even the little Hoot owls are afraid of them. You would hear all sorts of Screech owls,Barn owls etc here hooting at night and all of a sudden you would hear one Big WHOOO! from one of the Big Boys like these and All the little owls would Instantly shut up and stay quiet. When they lock onto a likely critter for dinner, you have to watch out, as they see Nothing else. They will fly right into you or the side of your car if you get between them and their targets! Guys here quickly found out that you do Not wear a rabbit fur hat while hunting, as it is a good way to get scalped by a hungry owl! One guys hat was found a year later up in a owl's nest(along with part of his hair..lol)
    William

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Rene I thought the blue version was called the Daisy Mae didn't know they called them all that
    It's the family nickname for all of them

?

Now that would be a great hunting story

The guy with the hat in the tree woke up on the ground with a bloody head...he had No idea what had happened to him. Never heard or saw a thing coming. (If you don't See them flying, you will never Hear them, with their muffled feathers, they are totally silent flyers for such huge birds) The Owl hit was just a theory until they found his hat the next year...
    William

?

Do you think he said "hoo" did that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast