Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Foot Guards Officer's dress visor caps

Article about: Finally acquired a Coldstream Guards officer's dress forage cap, to complete a collection for all five of H.M. Foot Guards Regiments. All are post 1953, I believe, with the exception of the

?

Quote by BobS View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. The 6th Guards Tank Brigade was originally part of the Guards Armoured Div., but was removed and operated as a seperate brigade, using Cromwell Tanks. I have a history of the brigade,mainly because I have a medal group to a member of the 4th Battn., Grenadier Guards, part of this brigade.

BobS

Hi Bob,

Great thread about the Guards.

I have an interest in 6th Guards tanks as well, my late grandfather, (Willie Jackson), was a serjeant-tank commander in SHQ Troop, No3 Sqn, 4GG under Major Ivor Crossthwaite DSO, HOWEVER, you are wrong in one aspect, two battalions of the brigade were actually mounted on CHURCHILLS (4GG and 4CG), not Cromwells, The third armoured battalion of the brigade, 3rd Btn Scots Guards, WERE mounted on Cromwells.

I would be interested to know if the 4GG medal group is named and to whom.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi Bob,

Great thread about the Guards.

I have an interest in 6th Guards tanks as well, my late grandfather, (Willie Jackson), was a serjeant-tank commander in SHQ Troop, No3 Sqn, 4GG under Major Ivor Crossthwaite DSO, HOWEVER, you are wrong in one aspect, two battalions of the brigade were actually mounted on CHURCHILLS (4GG and 4CG), not Cromwells, The third armoured battalion of the brigade, 3rd Btn Scots Guards, WERE mounted on Cromwells.

I would be interested to know if the 4GG medal group is named and to whom.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    You are right, of course; I should have said Churchill tanks. Senility creeping up again! I should know better, since I'm a great Churchill enthusiast, but loathe Oliver Cromwell.
    My medal group is to Gdsmn John Widdowson, HQ Squadron, 4GG.

BobS

Bob,

do you know what cap badge would be worn on a Welsh Guards officers (khaki) SD cap?

I assume it would be the bullion version of the leek as shown on your example in the thread on SD caps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Foot Guards Officer's dress visor caps
    Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Bob,

do you know what cap badge would be worn on a Welsh Guards officers (khaki) SD cap?

I assume it would be the bullion version of the leek as shown on your example in the thread on SD caps.
    Yes, they wear the bullion badge; attached is a photo of my example, for a WWII example.
    The WG are the only Foot Guards regiment where other ranks & warrant officers all wear the same metal leek badge, with the bullion reserved for officers only.

BobS

Thanks Bob for your quick response. I just bought a cap from the bay, ER buttons, officers chinstrap but with a Welch Regiment badge on it. It was a very good price and is made by Moss Bros which I know from an Ex WG member was the preferred tailor for the regiment when he was with them post war.

I'll post some pics when it arrives early next week. Then I'll try and track down a period example to go with it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some advice.
    My grandfather, a former Welsh Guards Officer (from mid war to early 50s I believe), passed away last year leaving a substantial collection of his uniforms and equipment. However, his forage cap is missing and presumed sold.
    We would like to source a new cap to display with his uniform, but I am having great trouble in finding one. Does anybody know of anywhere I could look to find one at a reasonable price? I would preferably like to spend between £50 to £75.
    I'm not a collector or a militaria expert so I have no real idea of value or sources.
    Any advice would be most welcome.
    Many Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2