Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French Kepi

Article about: Hello, any info about this kepi would be appreciated. I have just bought it quiet cheaply. How old is it? Which branch of service? Many thanks, Douglas

Default French Kepi

Hello, any info about this kepi would be appreciated. I have just bought it quiet cheaply. How old is it? Which branch of service?

Many thanks,

Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Kepi   French Kepi  

French Kepi   French Kepi  

French Kepi  

Have a look at mine which I posted the other day for comparison. Its in the WW1 allies section. I have my doubts about the originality of the chinstrap though.

Thanks for that, so you think WW1? You are quiet right about the chinstrap, there is a fragment of the original one still in place behind it.

All I can say is that it is of similar construction to mine. I purchased mine from a trusted source - and having checked the design characteristics of the WW1 period Kepi's, I am happy that it is original. Perhaps the different braid on yours signifies the cap of an NCO.

Thank you.

Any other comments welcome.

No good news; the kepi is a theater fantasy. made from a original piece.
    A grenade should sit where the number 2 as been placed and the large silver /goldish band is not right either.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks for your help. That would mean that if I removed the band and found a grenade badge I could at least restore it. Do you have any pictures of how it should look?

Need to search for that pic.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Yes, indeed a mismash of parts, and not authentic. Typically, that thick row of braid, in gold, or silver, is for the Gendarmerie , who are militarized in wartime. But their kepis have a black body, with a sky blue crown, and a matching silver or gold false chinstrap.
    The Garde Republicaine wear a Gendarmerie type kepi, with gold braiding & grenade badge. I had one for a lieut .col., but sold it.

BobS

Thank you, so what was this cap originally? Is it an artillery kepi? If so, could I not restore it by removing the braid and putting the correct badge on the front?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast