Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots

Article about: Gents, I have had this glengarry for almost 40 years since it was given to me in thanks for a kindness and I have recently turned it up again from amongst my "toy box" I would appr

Default Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots

Gents,

I have had this glengarry for almost 40 years since it was given to me in thanks for a kindness and I have recently turned it up again from amongst my "toy box"

I would appreciate any comments or opinions;

I am not totally sure of the period but the maker was taken over by Compton Sons and Webb in 1924 I believe.

The cap badge is to one of the 3 territorial battalions of the Royal Scots which were; 1/4, 2/4 and 3/4 Bn Queens Edinburgh Rifle Vols. All served with distinction in WWI.

The colour is black not navy blue and the toory is also black not the usual red which is indicative of their "rifles" status.

The headband is leather rather than silk and is quite deep which tends to date it.

As one can see there is very little left of the silk rosette but the black painted cap badge is almost mint.

Note the amount of pommade or whatever residue on the inside which I am sure has helped the preservation of a cap that must be a least 100 years old!

I don't have much in my collection of this age but I really like this piece. It reeks of history!

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots   Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots  

Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots   Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots  

Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-28-2016 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

An absolutely stunning example.

As you state the wide leather band makes it early and as far as I am aware the British stopped using this feature circa 1915.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry,

I was only 19 when I was given this and quite early in my collecting interests. My collecting range was quite narrow then and although this did not fall within it even then I considered it a special piece and it has lived inside a linen bag ever since, away from any harm that might befall it.

I was also given an astrakhan cap by the same friend and I shall post that as soon as I can take photos that do it justice.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I would be very pleased to have such as this in my collection, it really is a special thing to have and even better as it was a gift.

I have one early Glengarry, the earliest item of headgear I have in my collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

CBH
    ?

A lovely example , nice to see one with original badge still in place for say 100 years .

Quote by CBH View Post
    A lovely example , nice to see one with original badge still in place for say 100 years .
    Indeed.

Here is my example, possibly a bit older though hard to date them precisely, though the thread starters might be dated by the units history. My example has a fairly precise official date range, though the VB's & Militia's were well known for ignoring official guidelines!

Victorian Welsh regiment volunteer battalion officers glengarry
    Regards,

Jerry

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the link Jerry a lovely Glengarry you have there , I've got a couple kicking around here . I'll have to post them .

Quote by CBH View Post
    Thanks for the link Jerry a lovely Glengarry you have there , I've got a couple kicking around here . I'll have to post them .
    Chris, it would be great to see them.
    Regards,

Jerry

That is a stunning Glengarry there, and all the better for being complete and with some history. There can't be many left now from these volunteer units.

I just found this thread and it reminded me that I also have a rifles Glengarry with a deep leather band, sitting in a box. In this case a Scottish Rifles example, made by Robert Sim, and dated 1910 inside.

Pictures below. I actually found this Glengarry in Germany of all places. It's in great condition for something made pre-WW1 and also just oozes history.

Matthew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots   Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots  

Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots   Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots  

Quote by tubist73 View Post
    That is a stunning Glengarry there, and all the better for being complete and with some history. There can't be many left now from these volunteer units.

I just found this thread and it reminded me that I also have a rifles Glengarry with a deep leather band, sitting in a box. In this case a Scottish Rifles example, made by Robert Sim, and dated 1910 inside.

Pictures below. I actually found this Glengarry in Germany of all places. It's in great condition for something made pre-WW1 and also just oozes history.

Matthew
    Hi Matthew

Thanks for posting another really nice example.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were a regiment I have always had a great admiration for. A bunch of the typical "Wee Glasgae (Glasgow) hardmen" and known mainly for their extremely tough fighting spirit they served with distinction in all theatres. Nicknamed "The Poison Dwarves" (not a popular nickname and sure to cause a bit of conflict in the NAAFI) it was often said that their regimental walking out dress included an open razor!!

They are said to have refused to entertain the 1914 Christmas truce objecting to the idea of fraternising with those who had been trying so hard to kill them just a few hours earlier. Typical Jock (Jock is a sobriquet for a Scots soldier just as Tom or Tommy Atkins is applied to British soldiers in general) at best indifferent, at worst openly aggressive towards all but his own so ,would he play games with the enemy?

During the defence cuts in 1968 the regiment was disbanded and folk lore has it that this was a matter of choice by the regiment in preferrence to amalgamation with another regiment. I don't know how true that is but I do not have any problem believing it.

I believe that your glengarry cap is actually Rifle Green which would be correct for this regiment if I recall correctly.

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast