Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash

Article about: Just "won" this from the bay for a very low price, looks good from the sellers pics, though he does not mention a makers mark or date etc, only that it is a small size. Good to see

Default Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash

Just "won" this from the bay for a very low price, looks good from the sellers pics, though he does not mention a makers mark or date etc, only that it is a small size.

Good to see the brim appears to be two slouchies sewn together which is correct for circa WWII examples and it has the flash for one of the Scottish units which might not be period applied.

It needs a hands on and some more research.

It appears to have the "bash" sewn in place which could be a good sign that it was period used and not just a new old stock with an added badge.

Glad to get this one and always good when it is a bargain from the bay.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash   Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash  

Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash   Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash  

Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash   Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I hope this one works out as you would like it once in hand Jerry, I like the slouchies to, very iconic headwear. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I hope this one works out as you would like it once in hand Jerry, I like the slouchies to, very iconic headwear. Leon.
    Thanks Leon. The only thing that would make a difference on this is when the flash was applied, and even if it turned out to be recently and perhaps spuriously applied I would still consider myself to have had a bargain. It would be better if all untouched, but not a downer if not, as the double layer slouchies/bush hat really are iconic of the Gurkha forces in WWII and make it a good find and a very welcome addition to my headgear collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

nice detailed seller pics Jerry ,i too hope things work out and you have found the real deal maybe a closer look will reveals a faint date stamp ,i notice the interesting vent holes ,reminds me of the german civic fibre helmets,cheers james
    Regards James

Default Gurkha felt hat

The tartan badge backing to your hat is original, I do not remember which Gurkha Bn. used this backing. There is no way that you can describe this hat as a WWII one. This type of hat is worn to this day by Gurkhas, as to small size, all gurkha hata seem to be small, most at 6 3/4. John.

7th Duke of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles?
    Regards,

Jerry

I think also could be any age as we have Gurkha Engineers where i am and they wear the same two piece made hats still today

?

Jerry, remember, these are favourite "moth food" ....
    ... As ever, a week in the freezer, in a sealed bag will put any insect issues to bed.

Gary J.

Thanks for the input from everyone. It cost me a whole tenner (+P&P), so regardless of age it is a good pick up I think. Time will hopefully tell on the dating when it arrives.
    Regards,

Jerry

It arrived, post war as mentioned by John, faux leather sweatband. Nice to have a Gurkha hat in the collection, goes nicely with my other bush hats/slouchies.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash   Gotta love the bay, bargain priced Gurkha slouch hat with flash  

Regards,

Jerry