MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

grenadier guards cap badge

Article about: No idea, but there is always someone who wants to be different! Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: grenadier guards cap badge

grenadier guards cap badgegrenadier guards cap badgeHere, also,are officer's dress caps for the Scots Guards, and Welsh Guards. Apologies for my less than skillful photography!

BobS

I guess the other caps were added as well. Guess I'm also technologically challenged!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grenadier guards cap badge   grenadier guards cap badge  

grenadier guards cap badge  

hi men,ive just been round to my grandads and i asked him about his officer in the picture and he said his cap badge was embroidered

Stacey Woods
    ?

Hi there, Just chiming in on this thread as I found it looking for info on GG cap badges and Jimpy, my Grandad was 4th Btn also. I'm trying to obtain cap badge and replacement medals to get an arrangement framed for my Nan as Grandad passed away last year.

Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear that.

It is a really nice idea. Good luck with your project.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi Stacey.

First off, my condolensces on losing your grand-dad, and as Ade has said above, welcome to the forum.

You shouldnt have any problems getting a replacement set of medals, depending on what he was entitled to. I would imagine that, as your grand-dad was 4GG, then he would be entitled to the same ones as mine, France/Germany Star, Defence Medal and 39/45 Star. Depending when he joined up and if he stayed in after the battalion was disbanded in 1946/47, he may also be entitled to others. The only way to know for definate, that I know of, is to check against his medals/manning record.
    If you contact the regimental association, they may be able to help you, but you will need to give them as much informaton as possible, eg full name, regimental number, rank, dates of service, battalion etc.
    The appropriate cap-badge may be a different ball game though. Modern ones are fairly common, but getting hold of a WWII vintage one may be a bit harder. I was lucky, my grand-dad hung onto his when he left the army in 1947 and I still have it along with his dog-tags.

All the best in the search, it's a great idea. Feel free to drop me a line and I will help as much as I can, as, I am sure, will anyone on here

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

?

Quote by Stacey Woods View Post
    Hi there, Just chiming in on this thread as I found it looking for info on GG cap badges and Jimpy, my Grandad was 4th Btn also. I'm trying to obtain cap badge and replacement medals to get an arrangement framed for my Nan as Grandad passed away last year.
    I have a group of four medals ( 39-45 Star, F& G Star, Defence & War Medals) to Gdsmn John Widdowson, HQ Squadron, 4th Battn, Grenadier Guards, along with his photo in battledress and beret.

BobS

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Here are the pages from Kipling and King Vol II (1918-1979) that deal with Grenadier Guards badges:

Attachment 301545
    Attachment 301544
    Attachment 301543

K&K doesn't really deal with cloth badges at all, and i know embroidered badges do exist. However, what you can say about the book is that it was written by a historian and a collector, and badges listed are verified by actual examples, so they definitely existed (many in Hugh King's extensive collection).

Rob
    Sorry for the belated reply, but I just can't agree with this information, and I know that K&K is the supposed"bible" on cap badges.
    Specifically, i don't agree with any sovereign's cypher on a Grenadier Guards officer's forage cap badge. I have seen probably hundreds of photos of Grenadier officers from 1900 on, and none had anything but a gold embroiderd badge, sans cypher.
    Now, the puggaree badge is totally different, but that's not the subject of this thread.
    If someone has a photo of a Grenadier Guards officer wearing a forage cap, either khaki, or dark blue, with a badge with cypher, I would love to see it. Commissioned officer only; I know that WOI & WOII DO wear the badge with a cypher.

BobS

?

Quote by BobS View Post
    I have a group of four medals ( 39-45 Star, F& G Star, Defence & War Medals) to Gdsmn John Widdowson, HQ Squadron, 4th Battn, Grenadier Guards, along with his photo in battledress and beret.

BobS
    My Dad was 2nd Battn and was issued the same medals, just framing them for him at the moment

?

Quote by BobS View Post

BobS

Now that IS a small world Bob, my late grand-father was also HQ Squadron, 4th GG.
    If possible, I'd be interested in seeing the pics Bob.

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

I served in the Grenadier Guards for 18 years - If you contact RHQ in Birdcage Walk SW1 you can get a copy of his service record.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast