Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

grenadier guards cap badge

Article about: No idea, but there is always someone who wants to be different! Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: grenadier guards cap badge

No idea, but there is always someone who wants to be different!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

ow right,wouldnt of thought he would off been allowed to,thanks for ya info ade

I am sure he paid for the sin
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi, do you know where i could get an original Service Dress jacket?

I will keep an eye out for one for you. I do see them now and again. I don't know of any for sale as present.

I have one in my collection. A late production example with "plastic" buttons.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade,
    I believe a Grenadier Guards officer's cap badge would only be an embroidered cloth grenade, never a metal badge. Same goes for the Welsh Guards, I believe.

Quote by rabbitface View Post
    Hi, do you know where i could get an original Service Dress jacket?
    Try Ebay, there are often plenty on there, circa WWII and after, often with all their buttons and insignia.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by BobS View Post
    Ade,
    I believe a Grenadier Guards officer's cap badge would only be an embroidered cloth grenade, never a metal badge. Same goes for the Welsh Guards, I believe.
    I looked this up in Kipling & King. Officers of the Grenadier Guards wore a gilt metal badge for the 1937-1954 period described as follows:

Officers: a fused grenade with the cypher of King George VI interlaced and reversed and surmounted by an Imperial crown mounted on the ball. All gilt.

Welsh Guards (all ranks) for the period 1919-1979 (1979 being when Vol II was published) is described as:

A Leek. In gilding-metal (Fig. 920). Also anodised. Officers: in gilt and in bronze.

So the answer is no, they would not be cloth only. Ade may be mistaken about the bronze metal though, as no bronze version is listed for the Grenadier Gds, so it looks more likely to be a gilt metal badge on the officer's cap in the photo.

Rob

Actually, quick update.. in K&K for the 1911-1936 period for Grenadier Guards it says:

(4) Other-ranks: a fused grenade with a plain ball. All brass (Fig 891). This was worn also in bronze by officers in service-dress.

I missed that.. so there was also a bronze metal version of the plain GGds cap badge used by officers.

Sorry I doubted you there Ade

Rob

Oh ye of little faith

You had me wondering for a minute

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast