Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grenadier Guards FS cap 1939 nearly mint

Article about: Just bought this one from the US via Ebay, pretty good pics from the seller. Nicely maker marked and dated and size marked as well, a good early or pre war example. Not 100% certain what the

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    Some information posted on the B&CMB forum suggests this might be for the Royal Household home guard unit as they wore the Grenadier Guards badge and that might make more sense of it having the early buttons on it, though there is so little known about the unit that this will probably never be capable of being proved.
    I believe that Guards regiments, whether Household Cavalry, or Foot Guards, were much more likely to wear the peaked khaki service cap, usually with the slashed peak.
    The vast majority of photos I seen , both pre-WWII, and in wartime , show them wearing the peaked cap. even off duty when overseas.
    I surmise that it was another way to set them apart from line regiments.

BobS

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    Thanks Mo and a shame about ebay for you, but a lot of german stuff is banned from there and a lot of it is garbage, though its pretty good for British items.
    Totally agreere: Ebay. i have had much success over the years with British items, and other countries as well, but, Eban can be quite frustrating with German items, especially from the TR era.
    The "bargain" days of TR items are long gone, although I guess one can get lucky if they keep trying.
    Too many overpriced items, and outright fakes for sale as well.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    I believe that Guards regiments, whether Household Cavalry, or Foot Guards, were much more likely to wear the peaked khaki service cap, usually with the slashed peak.
    The vast majority of photos I seen , both pre-WWII, and in wartime , show them wearing the peaked cap. even off duty when overseas.
    I surmise that it was another way to set them apart from line regiments.

BobS
    Indeed Bob and normally that would be the case, however for the Royal household Home Guard I do not know and when I first had it I did find pictures of guards men wearing FS caps as well as peaked caps. As I posted, this theory was suggested by a member on the brit badge forum who seemed to know what he was talking about. Either way I am happy.

Good to get a reply from you Bob.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2