Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with identifying Naval hat? WW2?

Article about: Hi, I'd really like some help with identifying where this hat came from? What era? Thank you!

Default Help with identifying Naval hat? WW2?

Hi,

I'd really like some help with identifying where this hat came from? What era?

Thank you!

CBH
    ?

Looks post-war as it has Queen's crown , also the plastic chin strap.
    British Navy by the looks of it, but wait for more opinions.

From a quick internet search, this appears to be a Royal Navy officer's dress cap of 1953-1960 vintage. Elizabeth II's coronation was on the 2nd of June 1953 - thus the Queen's Crown - and this pattern of cap seems to have been used from then until sometime in the 1960s. Multiple examples of identical caps are for sale on various sites, and are listed as such.

Regards, B.B.

Here are some more photos. (sorry that they aren't the correct way. I did rotate them but when I uploaded the they are like this!)

Nice to see a name in there. Even if it can't be traced to an individual, it's a nice personal touch that sets it apart from other examples.

B.B.

As already mentioned, it is royal navy officers cap, 1960's+or-5 years
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    From a quick internet search, this appears to be a Royal Navy officer's dress cap of 1953-1960 vintage. Elizabeth II's coronation was on the 2nd of June 1953 - thus the Queen's Crown - and this pattern of cap seems to have been used from then until sometime in the 1960s. Multiple examples of identical caps are for sale on various sites, and are listed as such.

Regards, B.B.
    Thank you very much for all that information, I am still struggling to find indencital listings- are you able to provide some links?

Thanks

Matt

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    As already mentioned, it is royal navy officers cap, 1960's+or-5 years
    Is it valuable?

Quote by Mahoney View Post
    Thank you very much for all that information, I am still struggling to find indencital listings- are you able to provide some links?

Thanks

Matt
    It was a google image search that turned up results from various militaria sites. There were also quite a few photos of the insignia separate from the cap. A photo of a similar example:

Not something that would be particularly valuable in of itself. Postwar uniform items tend to be less desirable than WWII-era pieces or earlier, unless they have provenance to a particular individual or event.

B.B.