Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Khaki service dress cap

Article about: A recent acquisition of mine, a Khaki other ranks service dress cap badged to the Buffs. I really can't be sure of the age of the cap, the last two numbers of the date stamp are worn. I woul

Default Khaki service dress cap

A recent acquisition of mine, a Khaki other ranks service dress cap badged to the Buffs. I really can't be sure of the age of the cap, the last two numbers of the date stamp are worn. I would hazard a guess that it could either be 1939 or 1959. Both chinstrap buttons are Kings Crown and look as though they have always been on the cap. The chinstrap seems to be missing a couple of inches, and there is some loss to the nap of the cloth behind the chinstrap. The cap badge is impossible to remove, and so has possibly always been on the cap. The peak shows evidence of being 'slashed' - a common practice amongst soldiers. I remember getting my a**e kicked by my BSM for doing it to my cap! I have shown the cap next to a tunic I also recently acquired.

Khaki service dress capKhaki service dress capKhaki service dress capKhaki service dress capKhaki service dress capKhaki service dress cap

?

Nice looking cap; too bad the date is obscured.
    Here is my Grenadier Guards version, quite similiar, with a 1950 stamp.

BobSKhaki service dress capKhaki service dress cap

Nice cap! I remember the Kings Troop wearing these when I was stationed at Woolwich in 1969. They used to train with the guns & horses on the parade ground.

a very nice aquisition steve and a fine display

NCA
    ?

Nice cap.What do you mean by 'slashed peak'?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Nice cap.What do you mean by 'slashed peak'?
    The practice of 'slashing' the peak was where the stitching holding the peak in place was cut for a couple of inches on each side of the peak - working from the outside edge towards the middle. The peak ends could then be withdrawn from the body of the cap and cut off. The peak was then pushed back in place and re-stitched. This resulted in a smaller - and more angled peak, similar to that on a Guards cap.

?

That "slashing " of the peak can be pretty extreme. I have a few Foot Guards warrant officers' dress caps, and the peaks are close to a 90 degree angle downwards. Very regimental!

BobS

Back in 1970, our regiment was assembled for an 'Admin' parade. We were all dressed up in No 2's and caps, and mine had the peak slashed, wire ring taken out and the top shaped. The BSM came along and inspected us prior to the Brigadier arriving. He stopped in front of me and stared at my cap, his features changing to bright red. "Where the f**k do you think you are Corbett?" he said... " The f**king cavalry?"