Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lancers cap

Article about: Thanks Ian, any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like it will be a great do your going to, have fun and try not to get too pissed!

ian
    ?

it is a senior NCOs cap ,,as it has the standard ORs MOTTO ,,officers wore a smaller size MOTTO
    allthough the caps were privately perchased by staff sgts and obove
    cheers ian

Quote by ian View Post
    it is a senior NCOs cap ,,as it has the standard ORs MOTTO ,,officers wore a smaller size MOTTO
    allthough the caps were privately perchased by staff sgts and obove
    cheers ian

Ian, I hate to disagree with you but it has a solid silver motto from the late Victorian period, though whether it was worn by a Senior NCO or an Officer I am not going to get in to, but everyone else thinks it is an Officers cap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

ian
    ?

the caps are the same ,,officer or SNCO , but officers wore a smaller motto ,,silver or not ,it doesnt matter and SNCOs wore the standered size,,
    infact if an officer wore the standard size motto he would be deemed to be improperly dressed ,, and would find himself on extra duties as a result
    the dress regulations for the wearing of this cap were very strictly upheld within the 17th/21st lancers ,,it could only be worn ,with no2 dress trousers ,stable belt ,OR or OFFICER type ,(as they also are diferent) ,,brown shoes ,,no2 dress shirt ,with or without .jerrsey heavy wool ,riding crop or swagger stick were allso carried ,,with no exceptable deviation , except the RSM who would carrry a pace stick ,, either way a standard size motto is SNCO ,, BUT as i said the caps ARE THE SAME ,,,,oh and this cap is not very old at all ,,it has STAYBRIGHT BUTTONS ,and i used to wear a silver motto on my berret

cheers ian

Ian,

I agree the cap is a post WWII version and have always said it was, just that it has a much older motto on it. I have seen pictures of officers wearing the full sized motto on this type of cap, so they obviously managed to avoid being told off for doing so.

Instead of just getting on your high horse perhaps you could try reading what I have posted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancers cap  
    Attached Images Attached Images Lancers cap  Lancers cap 
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    from the post war period, probably 50's and made by Moss Bros.
    or perhaps a little bit later.
    Regards,

Jerry

ian
    ?

im not on a high horse ,im sorry if you think that ,,it was not at all how i mean to be ,,i was just saying how it is ,,
    in your pics the officer on the right has the smaller motto ,,they allso look like war time pics ,,things were a bit lax in those days ,,im sorry i dont have a small motto to show to you ,,the only time an officer was supposed to wear a standard motto ,was on the no1 dress cap ,,they even wore small ones on their berrets

cheers ian

ian
    ?

Jerry that silver motto of yours is very nice ,,its somewhat modified but all the same a real nice one
    cheers ian

?

I like British military but I don't know come here from sic em about it.

Quote by ian View Post
    Jerry that silver motto of yours is very nice ,,its somewhat modified but all the same a real nice one
    cheers ian
    Thanks Ian, as you notice it has had the upper lug removed and has been repaired on the end of one of the long bones.

I am happy if it is for a Senior NCO as that would make it much rarer I think and when first I started this thread following advice from you I posted that is what it was, just since then others suggest it is an officers issue. At this stage it is the motto that I am trying to find out about, rather than the cap itself.

I have images of officers wearing the smaller motto on the FSCap, all have it on the blue curtain.
    Regards,

Jerry

ian
    ?

Jerry ,,hi mate ,,im going to the regimental dinner on saturday ,ill talk to my old RSM about all this and see if i can get a difinative answer for you
    amd mabe some never seen pics ,,you seem very interested in the 17th--17th/21st lancers ,,ill do my best to ask lots of things and get answers as best i can ,, maney famouse generals will also be there IE hamilton _russel ,,still,,purbrick,,among otheres ,,all well known to me
    looks like a good booze up and much swinging of the lamps ,,it may turn out that im wrong ,,,i dont think so but it may be so
    lets see what comes of it ,,ill also talk to mick holtby ,,the man who runs our museum about your silver motto ,,see what i can learn about that its defanately pre 1922 as it has no symetry ,post 1922 the whole motto ws symetric ie the bnes were the same both sides ,,if you look at yours the ends of the bones on the right are diferent to the ends on the left ,,if you see what i meen

cheers ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast