MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lancers cap

Article about: Thanks Ian, any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like it will be a great do your going to, have fun and try not to get too pissed!

Default Lancers cap

Picked this up today from the PO. Very good condition except one moth hole in the crown. Complete with motto and regimental buttons, for a senior NCO from the post war period, probably 50's and made by Moss Bros.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancers cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Lancers cap

A good image from late WWI or interwars period of an officer of the lancers with SD cap and tunic.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 09-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Nice!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Nice one Jerry!...

Thanks Kris and Paul.
    Regards,

Jerry

Following some further research and some help from another forum, I found that the Motto is a silver example and is from an earlier period. Also found out that this type of cap could be for officers of the regiment and senior NCO's, so not sure which it is.

I borrowed these images from another forum, so I have watermarked them with the posters name.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 09-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

The cap looks to me to be an Officer's one. Why do you think its for a senior NCO? Also I think the dating sounds about right.

Oli

Quote by Ocad View Post
    The cap looks to me to be an Officer's one. Why do you think its for a senior NCO? Also I think the dating sounds about right.

Oli
    It was a forum member and ex Lancer who posted that it was an NCO version and I am willing to bow to his knowledge on these, but to my eyes it looks the same as other officers caps I own, though they are from regiments that did not have a NCO undress version. It is hard to see in the NCO pic above if it has OR's or officers type chinstrap and I don't know which version of the chinstrap NCO's wore.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thanks Jerry for the quick reply. It is true that Officers and senior NCOs such as RSMs and CSMs could wear Officer quality caps, with the same chinstrap configuration. I was interested if the cap was attributed an NCO. The likely hood is that it is probably an Officer's cap due to them being more "abundant".

Following some more research it seems likely that the motto is from the late 19th century, circa the 2nd Boer war period and would have had 3 lugs on it, one of which has been removed and also the end of one of the long bones has been repaired.

You can see a blob of silver solder from the removed lug, the silver lugs and a detail of the repair. Also from anothers collection a picture of the same type of motto in place on a FS helmet.

I have cleaned it since last I showed it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancers cap   Lancers cap  

Lancers cap   Lancers cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast