Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?

Article about: Greetings all, Found recently at auction, a lot of US style hats. I believe they are for the most part, vintage 1960's children's dress-up hats. Interestingly they have a smell similar to ot

Default Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?

Greetings all,
    Found recently at auction, a lot of US style hats. I believe they are for the most part, vintage 1960's children's dress-up hats. Interestingly they have a smell similar to other WWII era items I have. A couple do have old tailor stamps, whether this makes them just quality toys, cadet issue or the like I am not sure. The propeller insignia is in sterling, which is also interesting for a 'toy' hat. I also find the actual metal buttons and insignia incredible for toys, but I grew up in the '80's, when these items were made on the cheap! I guess what I am asking is does anyone recognize any of these caps as 'non-toys' or are they all vintage toys? Do any of our older esteemed members recall running around the yard in one of these?
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?   Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?  

Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?   Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?  

Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?   Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?  

I believe they are all childrens caps - some in very poor
    condition, and a couple that are in really great shape
    considering their age and who wore them.

Before my time, but it was quite common for a soldiers
    child to be dressed up like daddy. Some of the insignia
    look authentic - except for the officer type, and there
    is one cap that must be a police hat with an
    incorrectly placed 'US' on it.

The CW felt piece is likely a souvenir type
    from the 1960 or 70.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Many thanks mate- I suspected that the better ones could have been ordered by the families of serving fathers to make 'little soldiers'. This is another one with an old tag that really looks military.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?   Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?  

Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?  

MAP
    ?

I had one of the CW caps (of course in Blue...LoL) as a kid. I don't think they are felt. More like a paper like cloth.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I had one of the CW caps (of course in Blue...LoL) as a kid. I don't think they are felt. More like a paper like cloth.
    This was one of several of these types of caps in the lot. They are definitely old toys that predate me! I don't want to get political here but out of interest would the CS hat sticker be not really 'allowed' anymore?

Good memory! They all appear to be some type of cardboard - A bit like an egg container! Its amazing they are still in one piece.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Large Lot of vintage US hats - Cadets? Child Toys?  

MAP
    ?

Yes. That is it. Like an egg carton. Mine didn't last long. Neither did the cap guns I used. The caps would corrode the cheap pot metal. But it was fun.

The flag is only an issue to those who have nothing better to spend their time on. IMHO. And with that I'm not saying any more.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I believe they are all childrens caps - some in very poor
    condition, and a couple that are in really great shape
    considering their age and who wore them.

Before my time, but it was quite common for a soldiers
    child to be dressed up like daddy. Some of the insignia
    look authentic - except for the officer type, and there
    is one cap that must be a police hat with an
    incorrectly placed 'US' on it.

The CW felt piece is likely a souvenir type
    from the 1960 or 70.........
    The CW felt cap is from the 50s that were sold in toy stores. I had one just exactly like it in 1954.
    I am sure the other caps are WW II through the 1950s period. They are fun to see.
    Some are in rough shape because they were played with and then stuffed in toy boxes.

Quote by christek View Post
    Many thanks mate- I suspected that the better ones could have been ordered by the families of serving fathers to make 'little soldiers'. This is another one with an old tag that really looks military.
    This Ridgeway style cap is definitely from the 50's.........
    Regards,

Steve.