Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Linligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan cap

Article about: Gents, When I posted the RVB glengarry; http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-...-scots-650506/ I mentioned that I had another item of headdress from the same friend. This is it, an astrakhan

Default Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan cap

Gents,

When I posted the RVB glengarry; Glengarry; Rifle Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots

I mentioned that I had another item of headdress from the same friend.

This is it, an astrakhan cap (yes the British Army did use astrakhan too!) of the Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers which unit also forms part of the lineage of the Royal Scots Regiment now part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

I don't know much about the unit I have to admit but I do know I am very pleased to have this hat in my collection and I don't think I will ever part with it.

I have no idea what it is worth but a dealer in the '80s suggested a figure around £600. Academic really

It is in pretty good shape as you can see. The cork element of the headband has deteriorated as you would expect but is mostly still there. The chin scales, leather strap and velvet lining have come unstiched in places but no more than that. The individual parts are almost mint so I am wondering if I should seek the services of a dress uniform tailor to hand stitch it back together?

The horsehair plume (it's not a hackle, that would be made of feathers) is apparently missing a small arrangement of red feathers in the ferrule and I would appreciate any advice there. Otherwise it is a very nice piece and although I am mostly a modern militaria collector (1914 onwards) this is one of my favourites!

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Linligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan capLinligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan cap

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-29-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

its very nice,must be rare now.

CBH
    ?

Beautiful item , I have a small collection metal hat boxes , so I always like to see these also .
    Here a photo of my Sydney Mines Volunteers (kepi) , it's a family piece I also have his sword telescope and
    some books etc . The unit was formed in the 1860's during the Fenian raids .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Linligowshire Rifle Volunteers Astrakhan cap  

Hats off to you Mark and Chris, stunning headgear and great with the tins as well. gotta love the plume and holder as well, I was offered one at some stage but even just the plume and holder was too pricey for me.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

CBH
    ?

My tin isn't original to the hat unfortunately , the insignia was lost but I found it years later it my grandmothers . A family home dating back to early 1800's possibly 1700's , the rear section is a saltbox style positioned on early land-grant on the harbour .

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Hats off to you Mark and Chris, stunning headgear and great with the tins as well. gotta love the plume and holder as well, I was offered one at some stage but even just the plume and holder was too pricey for me.
    Thanks Jerry,

The tin and lock came with the cap and the tin if you look closely has been dotted with red paint of some sort, no doubt a visual aid to recognition amongst similar items perhaps on a train or ship!

As with the glengarry this was a gift in gratitude for a kindness when I was a young "Tom". The person who gave it to me was at that time an old "Salt" with some 30+ years of service who needed a hand.

So, but for those circumstances I think this piece might have been a bit "rich for my blood" price wise. However, it is a prize possession and I am happy to show it here!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."