Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Long live the bearskin cap!!

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Once more the idiot PC brigade are trying to do away with another iconic item of the military uniform traditions of many armies across the world but in particular targe

Default Long live the bearskin cap!!

Good afternoon gents,

Once more the idiot PC brigade are trying to do away with another iconic item of the military uniform traditions of many armies across the world but in particular targetting the British Army;

End of the line for bearskins | Daily Mail Online

I won't launch into political or moral argument here just suffice to say that the fact that these people are able to make such protest is thanks in no small amount to the exertions of those very armies (I can think of six or seven besides the British Army).

The article above makes clear why there is no problem with the use of bearskin and very good reason for it to continue so enough said there.

Therefore, I thought it a good time to show here what a real bearskin looks like just in case

Point to note; many refer to this type of headress as a "busby" this is totally wrong. A busby is typically beaver pelt (largely synthetic these days). This is and always has been a "Bearskin".

Some also refer to the plume as a hackle. A hackle is made from feathers and a plume is typically horsehair but you will generally not cause more than disdain if you call it a hackle. Call the hat a busby at your peril however!

In the case of the British Army the type I show here is worn by the five regiments of Her Majesty's Foot Guards.

The Grenadier Guards (which this one is from) being "right of the line" wear their horsehair plume on the left.

The Scots Guards (the third regiment of the guards but more of that in a min) do not wear a plume.

The Irish Guards wear a blue plume (sometimes looks greenish) on the right.

The Welsh Guards wear a green and white plume on the left.

The Coldstream Guards (although they are the 2nd regiment of guards form the left flank when the brigade is paraded together because their motto is "nulli secundus" or 2nd to none and their history actually predates that of the ancestors of the Grenadiers). They wear a red plume on the right

So, the hat;

The skin is from the pelt of the Canadian Black Bear over a cane frame little changed since first made in 1831.

The liner is black leather.

The chin strap or "chin scales" is of black leather with a chain of brass scales stiched to it. At each end a black leather strip is looped through and has holes punched for length adjustment when it is fitted over brass wire hooks inside the frame.

The horsehair plume fits into a pocket trimmed with a pointed leather tongue on the appropriate side (the bearskins are made "sided" and have the pocket on only one side or not at all according to regiment eg the Grenadier and Welsh Guards are the same as are those for the Coldstream and Irish Guards).

The whole thing is much lighter than people imagine at about two pounds and is really quite comfortable.

Here are some pics;

Regards

Mark
    PS the army have tried synthetic fur for these before and had to give it up as a really bad idea. They looked like props from a really bad musical
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Long live the bearskin cap!!   Long live the bearskin cap!!  

Long live the bearskin cap!!   Long live the bearskin cap!!  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Those cute black bears will tear the head off a human being and eat it. Especially when starving because of over population. I can't understand their reasoning. They seem to think it is better for them to starve to death and create mayhem than be harvested with a quick shot. Their priorities seem to be a$$backwards to reality.
    Last edited by SteveR; 03-13-2015 at 03:36 AM.

Black bears have killed more people than All of the Other bears Combined...usually attributed to the fact that the blackie will sit down and Eat on what he thinks he's just killed, so there is no point in playing dead with one. Forget climbing trees too-if You can climb it-He can Too and better than you. And their numbers are increasing-I've seen more black bears around here this last year than I've seen in the last 10. They're by no means dwindling in numbers.
    Having said that, I think it would be outrageous if the bear skin caps were done away with. What next? Rabbits?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Those cute black bears will tear the head off a human being and eat it. Especially when starving because of over population. I can't understand their reasoning. They seem to think it is better for them to starve to death and create mayhem than be harvested with a quick shot. Their priorities seem to be a$$backwards to reality.
    At the risk of stating the obvious here and setting aside traditions and the superior qualities of bearskin over synthetic material; these bears will be shot as a matter of necessity not in order to obtain the pelts. Therefore, the pelts are a by-product and on that basis alone it makes economic sense to use them. How dense are these people that they cannot see this? There is no cruelty or "farming" involved at all. Now back to tradition!!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I think its very cruel to take away the black bear skins from the poor guardsman.