Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap

Article about: On its way to me from a forum member by way of ebay. Interwars c. 1930's officers service dress cap for a Brigadier or Colonel, named inside to FRL Goodby who was a Major General and officer

Default Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap

On its way to me from a forum member by way of ebay.

Interwars c. 1930's officers service dress cap for a Brigadier or Colonel, named inside to FRL Goodby who was a Major General and officer commanding (Calcutta) HQ Bengal, Bihar & Orrisa in 1948 according to Gentlemen of the Raj: The Indian Army Officer Corps, 1817-1949 https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...goodby&f=false

The buttons suggest he was formerly in a rifles or light infantry regiment before he became a senior officer.

The cap is maker marked Imperial Hat Works Bangalore India which was at 32 Cunningham road and was famous for its tailored hats for military and the elite of Indian society. Is has now be done up as a tourist attraction with trendy shops and boutiques etc...

It is a lovely quality cap and apart from some minor moth damage looks to be in very good condition.

So far I have been unable to find out any more about him, or when he was promoted to Major General as that would help date the cap giving it a terminus ante quem as it must pre date his promotion.

The sellers very good pix for now until it arrives.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap   Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap  

Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap   Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap  

Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap   Major General FRL Goodby Royal Indian Army OSD cap  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Great cap friend. It is always nice when you get one that is identified.

An attractive and interesting cap Jerry.

?

Jerry,
    I looked in the 1909 Hart's Army List. 1913 & 1938 Army lists, and Hart's 1920 Indian Army List. and could find no officer with this name. Strange.

BobS