Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service Cap

Article about: Hello all, I thought I'd share a recent addition of mine, a Field Service Cap to an Officer in the Royal Scots Greys, the famed Scottish cavalry regiment. I believe this cap to be an origina

Default My Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service Cap

Hello all,

I thought I'd share a recent addition of mine, a Field Service Cap to an Officer in the Royal Scots Greys, the famed Scottish cavalry regiment. I believe this cap to be an original, and WWII period. To the top of the side cap is gold piping, which I believe makes this an Officer's side cap. To the side of the cap is a beautiful RSG Badge, an eagle of "Waterloo" and "Royal Scots Greys". The badge is on a black backing, the black backing was put on RSG headgear in honour of the Tsar Nicholas II of Russia who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Regiment until his tragic death in 1918. Two GS buttons to the front of the cap, King's Crowns. The side cap is manufactured by "Dalzel" in Belfast. For some reason, headgear and uniforms to the RSG are very scarce, and I haven't seen another one of these field service caps for reference. This is my first piece of headgear to the Royal Scots Greys. If anyone has any comments, concerns on period/authenticity/rank, or wish to post their Royal Scots Greys headgear, feel free to do so!

I hope you enjoy. Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

-Jamie

My Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service CapMy Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service CapMy Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service CapMy Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service CapAttachment 1107381Attachment 1107382

Certainly not one I remember seeing before, nice pick up.

Here is the RSG officers SD cap I used to own, note it has the black crown piping unique to the regiment and serving the same purpose as the black badge backing you mentioned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service Cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Beautiful cap, Jerry. I was not aware Royal Scots Greys SD Caps had black crown piping, very very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

-Jamie

?

This is a colonel's or brigadier's service dress cap, ex-RSG or RSDG. Still has regimental side buttons, with thistle.

BobSMy Latest Addition: Royal Scots Greys Field Service Cap

BobS,

Another fine example of the black crown piping. Beautiful SD Cap, thank you for sharing!

Best regards,

-Jamie