MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help on this Cap.

Article about: I know it's British. The label says "Ranken & Co Ltd Calcutta as do the buttons". The name plate on the inside of the sweatband has a date of 30-1-43. So it's WWII. It also has

Red face Need help on this Cap.

I know it's British. The label says "Ranken & Co Ltd Calcutta as do the buttons". The name plate on the inside of the sweatband has a date of 30-1-43. So it's WWII. It also has a name which I can't figure out. And the name plate has Ranken & Co. on it. I would like to see if you guys can ID it. Any help would be appreciated.

Need help on this Cap.Need help on this Cap.Need help on this Cap.Need help on this Cap.

sorry,i cant help you !but i have to say it is good!i like it!!

?

Cap appears to be a dress version for ranks of colonel & brigadier, but the bullion on the peak doesn't look like the correct design. Side buttons are general service, and appear gilt.
    The name looks to be Indian, rather than that for a British officer.
    Certainly, Ranken made WWII era caps, but this one raises some questions for me. It's of course missing the bullion insignia of a lion surmounted by a crown, and a chinstrap.

BobS

I have seen caps with the single bullion on the peak. But never missing the chin strap and any sort of cap badge. I agree, the name looks to be Indian, rather than British. Could it be Indian Army, or Indian band? Was there even a standing Indian Army during WWII?

?

Quote by Gneagle View Post
    I have seen caps with the single bullion on the peak. But never missing the chin strap and any sort of cap badge. I agree, the name looks to be Indian, rather than British. Could it be Indian Army, or Indian band? Was there even a standing Indian Army during WWII?
    A single bullion row is correct for colonels and brigadiers, but the pattern on this cap doesn't match what is normally seen.
    It could possibly be for a high ranking Indian officer of the old Indian Army; a number of native indians became King's Commssioned officers post WWI, and the process was accelerated up to Indian independence in 1947.

BobS

Ok, thanks for your help.

It is an odd example, the leaves on the peak are all wrong for the the rank they are for, also GS buttons are incorrect for the rank. The makers are good and I have a side cap by them, which has some subtle differences on the label.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.