Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Parachute Infantry overseas cap- real or repo

Article about: Hello, I was looking for some help in trying to determine if this overseas cap is real or a repo or what????. I picked it up at a local flea market. The main reason a question it is because

?

Default Parachute Infantry overseas cap- real or repo

Hello,

I was looking for some help in trying to determine if this overseas cap is real or a repo or what????. I picked it up at a local flea market. The main reason a question it is because the parachute patch is behind the piping and not over half of it. I don't know if that was ever done or if this cap is just a poor effort to make it look original. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute Infantry overseas cap- real or repo   Parachute Infantry overseas cap- real or repo  

Parachute Infantry overseas cap- real or repo  

Default Re: Parachute Infantry overseas cap- real or repo

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Everything looks fine to me. The insignia was worn like that at times.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi, JFO !

I like it too, and believe it is WWII issue. The 2nd LT. bar should be one inch from the front
    edge of the cap, although I think 'Officer grade' caps had bullion wire trim
    and not plain coloured piping, so someone may have simply
    'added' the LT bar to an Enlisted mans cap.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-14-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I don't think this was made over seas, as it uses the inch sizes that we use here in the states for the size of the cap, If i remember right they were using metric type numbers for the cap sizes back then, and still do today.

It looks US made, and from the period also.

Brian

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    I don't think this was made over seas, as it uses the inch sizes that we use here in the states for the size of the cap, If i remember right they were using metric type numbers for the cap sizes back then, and still do today.

It looks US made, and from the period also.

Brian
    Hi, Brian !

'Overseas cap' is the proper name for this type headgear, and this one is definitely U.S. made.

They are also referred to as 'Side caps', but either is correct.................... !
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes, i did serve almost 16 years in the US Army, i know what a overseas cap is, but that doesn't mean that it was made over seas, it would have been made here in the states , and issued to the soldier, before he shipped out.

As, I'm sure they knew that the soldier was going over seas, and would have part of his issue gear before he left out out.

All a over seas cap is, a cap that was worn over seas,outside CONUS, and that's all, it doesn't mean that it was made over seas.

Brian

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi, JFO !

I like it too, and believe it is WWII issue. The 2nd LT. bar should be one inch from the front
    edge of the cap, although I think 'Officer grade' caps had bullion wire trim
    and not plain coloured piping, so someone may have simply
    'added' the LT bar to an Enlisted mans cap.

I am very happy to have found this site/forum and thank you for responding to my question. I am still learning as much as I can about collecting.....so this might sound like a dumb question....but if someone had simply added the 2nd Lt. bar to an enlisted cap wouldn't the patch then be on the wrong side?
    Thanks for all the posts and warm welcome to the forum.
    Regards
    Jim

Quote by jfo137 View Post
    I am very happy to have found this site/forum and thank you for responding to my question. I am still learning as much as I can about collecting.....so this might sound like a dumb question....but if someone had simply added the 2nd Lt. bar to an enlisted cap wouldn't the patch then be on the wrong side?
    Thanks for all the posts and warm welcome to the forum.
    Regards
    Jim
    Now that you mention it, it's possible that Officers sometimes used EM gear..........................interesting !
    Regards,

Steve.

i believe the actual correct name for this form of head gear is "Garrison Cap"...but who really cares????....

Its late to throw my 2 cents in but Militarymania is correct. The correct name is garrison cap. The piping is where the overseas comes in. Overseas piping make it an overseas cap. It's also called a "C#NT CAP". But who cares.